Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mazzie Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2005, 08:30 AM
    Wireless network expansion
    I have a Netgear MIMO 108mbs router and 2 54mbs cards on laptops. I live in a log house and my office is upstairs. No problem with access downstairs and about 60 ft from router. My bedroom and laptop are another 30-40ft from the accessible points. I can get online with slow speed, but keep dropping connection. I have tried the wall plugged range extenders and frankly, the suck. Any advice on how to extend my range?
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Dec 31, 2005, 03:06 PM
    Try just pointing your aerial on the router in that direction a little bit then when you use the laptop try and site so the wireless devices are in a direct line if possible (imagane through the wals) if that doesn't work consider moving your router upstairs thts what I don't and you still get a singal downstairs and up stairs. Its all about the postioning really.

Good luck. Eventually you will find th right place for it.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 31, 2005, 03:09 PM
    Try resiting your router to a more empty area, like the hallway of your house.
    As there are this obsticles your range whould be improved.

Also you say you have a MIMO router, getting matched MIMO wireless cards will also help.
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Dec 31, 2005, 03:10 PM
    Yep like belkin router and belkin wireless cards are up to 125% faster. Normally about 110% faster for me but still a difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless Network installation [ 8 Answers ]

I have just purchased a router and 2 laptop cards. Does anyone know of an 'idiots' guide to installing the equipment. I really do mean an 'idiots' guide including every single step. I can get nowhere with the instruction manuals that come with the hardware

Wireless network problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have 4 pc's in my wireless network all running XP Home. They all used to have access to my base station printer but now they can't because the base station can't find them. I've tried a few things in the "windows setup a wireless home network" and "network places" and other programs but my base...

Wireless network security [ 4 Answers ]

I have just gotten a router and set up a wireless net environment in my home. As I live in an apartment, I think it can be easily picked up by anyone. Therefore, I was wondering if there was any way or program I could use to make it secure. Also, I rather not use the WEP provided because it...

MSN messenger and wireless network [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Not sure whether I should have posted this here or in the network forum! I have intalled a wireless home netwrok and now find that my sons cannpot login to MSN Messenger. It seems to think that I have no connection. I am not a novie but I WOULD NEED TALKING TRHOUGH EACH STEP! I have...

Secure wireless network setting [ 3 Answers ]

I am using a wirless router and sharing the internet connection between the desktop and laptop, how to set up the secure network on the wireless router to prevent the unauthorized user to logon to my wireless network to shared the internet connection... pls help.

View more questions Search