Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jazzie5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2005, 01:31 PM
    MSN messenger and wireless network
    Hi
    Not sure whether I should have posted this here or in the network forum!

I have intalled a wireless home netwrok and now find that my sons cannpot login to MSN Messenger.
    It seems to think that I have no connection.

I am not a novie but I WOULD NEED TALKING TRHOUGH EACH STEP! I have already enabled the Plug and Play via the router (Belkin) and I have run out of ideas! Please help!

Jazz
    :(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2005, 03:18 PM
    Is the network working otherwise? Can they get on the Internet OK?
    jazzie5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2005, 09:03 AM
    Hi,
    Thank God someone responded!

Yes, they can both access the other PC (laptop to desktop and vice versa) and the internet from both. Just the desktop with no MSN or ZoneAlarm.

The message from MSN when trying to connect from the desktop is along the lines of 'no access to gateway'

On advice, it is wired directly to the router (doesnt contain a wireless card, but laptop does).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2005, 03:50 PM
    Have you checked with MSN tech support? Its probably a configuration issue for Messenger.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Oct 9, 2005, 12:49 AM
    Just to clarify, the PC that doesn't connect is the one with ZoneAlarm installed? If so, try disabling zonealarm, and see if it will connect. If so, then you just need to make an exception rule in the zonealarm settings. Not sure exactly how to do so, being that I don't use ZoneAlarm, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless Network installation [ 8 Answers ]

I have just purchased a router and 2 laptop cards. Does anyone know of an 'idiots' guide to installing the equipment. I really do mean an 'idiots' guide including every single step. I can get nowhere with the instruction manuals that come with the hardware

Wireless network problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have 4 pc's in my wireless network all running XP Home. They all used to have access to my base station printer but now they can't because the base station can't find them. I've tried a few things in the "windows setup a wireless home network" and "network places" and other programs but my base...

Wireless network expansion [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Netgear MIMO 108mbs router and 2 54mbs cards on laptops. I live in a log house and my office is upstairs. No problem with access downstairs and about 60 ft from router. My bedroom and laptop are another 30-40ft from the accessible points. I can get online with slow speed, but keep...

Wireless network security [ 4 Answers ]

I have just gotten a router and set up a wireless net environment in my home. As I live in an apartment, I think it can be easily picked up by anyone. Therefore, I was wondering if there was any way or program I could use to make it secure. Also, I rather not use the WEP provided because it...

Blocking MSN Messenger on the network [ 10 Answers ]

Hi... I have 2 pc's that are connected to the internet, my PC is connected directly to the internet through a cable modem! The other PC is connected through my PC to the ineternet using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). Now, my question is: How can I block MSN Messenger on the other PC?...

View more questions Search