Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saivstech Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2007, 11:59 PM
    My Computer, Drive letters options not showing up in XP
    Hello all,

I'm running Windows XP, SP2, IE7. If there is anything else that I should divulge to resolve, please feel free to ask me what more info is reqd.

There are a set of problems I'm facing and would like the forum to help me resolve:

When I open My Computer by double clicking from the Desktop, my 4 drives C/D/E/F are displayed in the right window pane.

1. Now when I try to open the D or E drives by double clicking the Drive letters, I'm unable to open the drives. Whereas with the same procedure I'm able to open the C and F drives by double clicking.

2. When I right click my D and E drives. I'm seeing that the Explore and Search options/attributes are missing and in that place I get to see some junk characters displayed, and rest of the other options/attributes are displaying normally.

What could this problems be attributed for and how to resolve them?

PS: the above said problems was restricted to D drive until recently when E started showing this symptoms.

Srini
    HAREENDRAN Posts: 22, Reputation: 0

Dec 5, 2007, 12:35 AM
    Warning! Your computer may be infected with virus.Immediately scan your computer with a good known (and updated )antivirus software .I think the infection is from a removable storage device.Let me know more.
    Senthil46 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 01:10 AM
    Unable to copy files to pendrive

Dec 5, 2007, 01:11 AM
    Unable to copy pendrive

Pendrive copy

Unable copy pendrive

Dec 5, 2007, 01:12 AM
    Pendrive

Dec 5, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HAREENDRAN
    Warning! Your computer may be infected with virus.Immediately scan your computer with a good known (and updated )antivirus software .I think the infection is from a removable storage device.Let me know more.
    Thanks for the response, I scanned the system with NAV which is up to date with latest updates. And the result is System is clean.

But I keep getting this message every now and then:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Sai\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\5JANE09W\kav[1].exe

Solution:
    Downloader - Symantec.com

I tried everything mentioned in the above link, despite that I keep getting the above message.

Anyway I don't know whether this has got anything to do with the aforementioned problem.

Dec 5, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Senthil46
    pendrive
    Thanks, I don't think this has got anything to do with pendrive though. As I haven't been using any. Except that I use my Digital Camera to transfer photos and Bluetooth dongle to transfer music to my mobile phone.

Is that a cause to be concerned about?
    HAREENDRAN Posts: 22, Reputation: 0

Dec 5, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by saivstech
    thanks, i dont think this has got nething to do with pendrive though. As i havent been using any. Except that I use my Digital Camera to transfer photos and Bluetooth dongle to transfer music to my mobile phone.

Is that a cause to be concerned about?

Now a days,one of the main source of virus is Removable strorage device like pendrive,memory card etc.So as a precaution,before transferring into computer,even through blue tooth,scan the contents for virus infection.Recently,one of my computer is infected with "autorun.vbs" after using a pen drive .The result - near similar to your problem!So I request you to keep this points in mind while using removable storage medias.

Dec 5, 2007, 09:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HAREENDRAN
    Now a days,one of the main source of virus is Removable strorage device like pendrive,memory card etc.So as a precaution,before transferring into computer,even through blue tooth,scan the contents for virus infection.Recently,one of my computer is infected with "autorun.vbs" after using a pen drive .The result - near similar to your problem!So I request you to keep this points in mind while using removable storage medias.

Will do keep in mind, good you told me.

Anyway since you faced similar probs, how did you resolve the issue? I ran a full system scan twice/thrice so far after updating (which is always updated) and the result was NO VIRUS FOUND.

So I don't know what else could be there to this? Anyway I found a temporary solution for this problem of drives context menu. Maybe you can check it out as it may be helpful for you or any other people who might face this problem.
    "Open With" dialog appears when double clicking on a mapped network drive in My Computer

Let me know how you resolved your problem.

Srini

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

CD-Rom drive icon not showing in My Computer [ 1 Answers ]

The CD rom icon is not showing. Whenever the PC is booted I get a message "Atapi IDE device not loaded. V.12B device driver not loaded". Can someone help how to get the driver? Also how come this driver suddenly vanished?Previously it was functioning OK.. thanks

Drive letter not showing [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a hard disk of 10 gb. When I connect it in IDE 2, it gets detected in bios. But it is not showing the drive letter in my computer. Only the IDE 1 Hard disk drives letters are seen. Tell me what should be done to get the data from that hard disk. I am wating to you are reply. ...

My Hard drive is not showing up [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I need help really bad I've connected my ide cables the cd rom registers but the hard drive won't show up the power is on the hard drive powers up but doesn't register please help me I need my computer

Hard Drive not showing up [ 14 Answers ]

Hi I recently unpluged 1 of the IDE cables that was attached to one of my hard drives as I needed to attach my friend hard drive to transfer data from him. I have to do this as I all ready have 3 hard drives installed on my PC + a dvd writer Any way I have just re-attached my hard drive and it...

View more questions Search