Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksduster Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Ehaust requirement on a 90%+ gas furnace
    I am installing a Heil 90%+ 100,000 furnace and I'm told that I must have a 3" PVC flue. The intake and exhaust are both 2" and the installation manual doesnot say where the 3" is to start and end. To get the the outside wakk is less than 15 feet and has to have 2 long 90's and 3 45's in the run. all this accure in the first 6 feet. The straight run from there is 10 feet. If I run only 2" the distance the draft switch will not close. One HVAC mech told me all I have to install is a section of 3" in the run and finish with 2" comb intake/exhaust fitting through the plate to outside. Thank you for your time, Don
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Follow the manufacturers instructions that came with the unit EXACTLY.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2007, 08:02 PM
    I agree with the tech you talked to run the 3 inch pipe, It will be increased from 2 to 3 at the furnace and reduced through the termination kit at the exterior.
    tsa7man Posts: 154, Reputation: 9

Nov 18, 2007, 06:16 PM
    The correct venting for a Heil ( ICP) furnace at 100,000 input is 3 inch increased right after the 2 inch comes out of the furnace cabinet with an increaser... and 3 inch ALL the way through to the outside of the home!! NOT reduced again to make the way through the siding of the house... check the install manual that comes with the unit... it is shipped with the furnace... and left in the blower area of the furnace along with the rest of the installation parts...
    ksduster Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Comment on tsa7man's post
    Thank You this solved the problem. The book was not in the furnace.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 07:58 PM
    My bad. Heil is one of the ones not using a termination kit yet.

Nov 19, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Just for your information... the Heil ( ICP ) concentric kit for 3 inch is a NAHA001CV they have had this kit for a long time now, nice looking termination... many people do not know about it... It looks much neater, with on pipe showing outside... And for the people out there who may need the 2 inch kit, for any furnace UNDER 100,000 btu/hr rating it is a NAHA002CV... TSA7MAN

Nov 19, 2007, 06:45 AM
    An added note, be SURE to slope the exhaust vent pipe back to the furnace at 1/4 inch per foot slope, and make sure all of the exhaust PVC vent is properly secured to prevent sagging when it warms up from use! Condesation must drain back to the furnace trap do be able to drain it. You can go to the wwwgoheil.com web site and find the install manual under the technical section ( new products and section for furnaces, then look for install manuals, find your model number, which is listed on your furnace ID tag)... tsa7man

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No gas to gas furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I can't get the gas to come on in my furnace.. Someone turned it off in the summer and I can't find a knob to turn it back on... The pilot light knob won't turn thre gas on... But I have gas in my cooking stove

Gas furnace pilot trouble. Goes out while furnace is running! [ 1 Answers ]

About a month ago I put in a new thermocoupler in my furnce and it's been working fine. This morning I woke up to no heat. I can re-light the pilot with no problems. The piot light keeps on burning if I don't turn the thermostat up to turn on the furnace. Then when I set the thermostat to 70...

Gas furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Before you start a hot water gas furnace you have to bleed the water out of the pipes, how do you do it right? My heat is usually very uneven.

Duct work for ehaust fan [ 3 Answers ]

I'm going to install an ehaust fan in my bathroom that requires venting through the attic. Can I run the vent close to my attic fan opening with a hood attchment on the end of the duct rather than throught the roof or out the side of the house. I noticed that galvinized duct is cheaper than...

Gas Furnace vs. Oil Furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I have an oil furnace with CAC that needs to be replaced in a 30 year old house. Keep the Oil system or replace with Gas? What Brands for each?

View more questions Search