Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mindy Rodque Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Potty Training Misery
    My 3 year old son is very smart and almost TOO smart for his own good. I have been potty training him for 6 months, it has been getting worse for the past 2 months. He has no problem making a pee on the potty but lately he's been still making bowel movements in his pullups. I make him sit in it for as long as he can stand it as I was hoping he would become uncomfortable. He has gone twice but that just doesn't seem to merit much for praise when he has MESSED 100 other times. The first time he went on the potty we made him a cake with candles and a wee present. The next day he wanted the cake but I GOT THE PRESENT. Lol Package a la stink. I need suggestions as I am at my end with trying to get him to understand. I think it may be a control issue, not sure. ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 11:24 AM
    I don't know if this will work for you, but my parents took the diaper off me and let me run round basically naked (in the house haha, not in public) when I was little, they knew I wouldn't just go to the bathroom all over and I'd seek out the potty, and that worked for them.
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Also, rewarding him for doing something he is supposed to do may just lead to him using that as a control thing, yes, and he will try to get what he wants if he knows he can. I'm not saying don't praise him or maybe even reward him a little, but a cake and a present may be going a little overboard I think. Just my opinion though.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Patience. No need to force the issue. He already pees so that's a start. Make the potty available to him and remind that it's for everything (pee and poop). When he feels he is ready then he'll do it. Coercing by letting him sit in his poop will not help, continue being the caring, loving parent and he'll come around on his own schedule.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 12:10 PM
    He is just not ready. Sooner or later he will notice older children don't wear pullups and want to be like them. It took my son almost till he was 41/2. be patient, he just is not ready yet
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 12:12 PM
    True, patience is important too, as some children just take longer than others, but don't let him play you for rewards if you think that's what he's doing.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindy Rodque
    I make him sit in it for as long as he can stand it as I was hoping he would become uncomfortable.
    This is a very bad thing to do. You are shaming him and this can lead to self-esteem problems down the road. You should never shame or guilt your child for any reason. Not to mention you are putting him at risk for infection and skin breakdown due to sitting in his own feces for a while.

Now, you have to understand that bowel movements are the last phase of learning to use the potty. It is much easier for a child to learn and understand the feeling of a full bladder than it is a full bowel. They also have to learn sphincter control that comes along with bowel movements, and this isn't easy.

Now, with that said, why does he have to use the toilet? He still has diapers on, yes, pull-ups are diapers without the tape on the sides. When I trained all 4 of my children we made it a big day to go out and buy big boy/girl underwear. They got to pick out their favorite characters and the whole 9 yards. When we got home we talked about what they were for and that we were going to get rid of the baby diapers and start wearing the big boy/girl underwear. I then explained to them what was expected. Voilą!! Problem solved. Sure there were still accidents here and there, but it was much easier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What about potty training? [ 9 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 yr old ADHD and bipolar granddaughter is not potty trained yet. It does not bother her to "sit in it" even to the point of making her bottom bleed. She will go potty if reminded but my mess herself 10 minutes later. We are at our wits ends! Anyone? Please? :confused:

New to Potty Training [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 2 1/2 year old son and I'm currently in the process of trying to potty train him. I need some help. He will tell me he has to go to the bathroom but when I put him on the toilet he just sits there. He won't go, but as soon as I put the pull up back on him he goes. I've tried bribing...

Potty training [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a year old mini dacshund and he is not potty trained, he refuses to do his poopies outside. We do have him in a crate and he goes for a long period with not accidents in there and we take him right outside and he won't go. We have disciplined him for this much, even put him back in...

Potty training [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering how I can start potty training my 20 month old daughter I Need help with it she will sit down with a diaper on and say potty but then I will take off her diaper and she won't go its getting frustrated what can I do

Potty training [ 19 Answers ]

My son turned 3 years old in April and will not use the potty! He's not interested and wants nothing to do with it. We have tried all the usual approaches without any luck. Any good ideas?? I've already tried 1- putting a potty that makes a flushing sound and a hurray sound in front of the TV...

View more questions Search