Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jasondbel Posts: 165, Reputation: -6

Nov 15, 2007, 03:09 PM
    No he really did have a heart attack every time I went to their house there was always and only a racial joke well jokes about blacks and gays only. I was even offended and left the home. He came home his daughter was in the bed with the kid. He beat that kid down the driveway. Three days later he was on his knee. COuple hours later he was in the hospital. I am best friends with this guy since kids. It was horrible when the state took him away. I lost my best friend. They went bankrupt lost everything. I mean everything. THey went from a upper middle class to a 50,000.00 home in like a month. Then oneday a few months later social workers came over and the kid was gone. His parents picked him up maybe 6 times from 12-18. Regardless of some of you trying to be politically correct the step father adopted the kid the kid does have his last name. Contrary to peoples beliefs just because he has his last name doesn't make him his dad. Step father adopted father it's the same thing. Its not about venting. This guy was a child, the mother left the bio father because she was a stripper disappeared remarried called the bio father the father asked the child what he wanted the child said sure adopt me then was treated like cinderella. He was in states custody because they couldn't afford four kids and like hell would they would give up a real kid, then he was adopted out of love for the bio mother. So yeah this kid a man my friend has been through hell and slaved for his adopted family took care of kids that were not his only to be treated like dirt when he comes around. So this kid had no control over all these adults actions lost his real father, did time because they couldn't afford him, then still takes from him and plays on him because he is weak for love from a family (now that they are poverty its even worse because the adopted kid is doing swell). All this just to be told he gets NOTHING from neither his real father or the adopted father.

Nov 15, 2007, 03:13 PM
    The adopted father is due to inherit millions in property and the real father had plenty money. Never paid child support. THis guy my friend worked HARD every day since out of states custody to get what he has. He is an excellent father as well. Both parties have nice inheritences but he gets nothing because he was adopted at 6 yrs of age.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Yes life sucks sometimes, but then we are not promised in life anything,
    K_2 Posts: 92, Reputation: 5

Nov 15, 2007, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    That's why you sometimes see a behest of a token amount. Yes, some states do not allow totally disinheriting certain relations (spouse and offspring). But a person is allowed to distribute the estate according to their wishes as long as they are of sound mind.

Most of the time, spouses are the major beneficiary in a Will. Even so, there are laws in all states that protect the surviving spouse from being disinherited. Some allow the spouse to take an elective share of the estate, usually one-half or one-third, regardless of the provisions in the Will. One method to disinherit a spouse may be through the use of a premarital agreement, but the courts are apt to closely scrutinize such agreements to make sure that the agreement was signed in good faith and with full disclosure of assets.

It's possible to put limitations on the property that you leave to a spouse through the establishment of trusts for the benefit of your spouse, that come into existence after you die. You should consider the following factors in deciding what kind of trust is best for your circumstances:

the possibility that your spouse's needs may increase in the future
    the manner of living to which your spouse is accustomed
    the ability of your spouse to provide for his or her own needs
    the ability of your spouse to manage the trust assets
    the possibility that your spouse may remarry and the affect the marriage may have on your children or other beneficiaries.
    ======================================

It's common for adult children to receive a significant portion of their parent's property. On the other hand, in every state except Louisiana, it is legally permissible to disinherit a child, regardless of his or her needs or age. Louisiana law provides that no child under the age of 23 at the time of the parent's death can be disinherited.

------ Here is where I found the information above-I don't know how trustworthy this website it is---------------

Requirements for Making a Will

I know this is more about spouses then children.

However, if the adopted dad was to pass before the mother, she'd get a certain percentage if not all, depending on the will. Even if he doesn't leave nothing to the adopted child and passes first and the mother doesn't have a will, then he will be included when she passes and her assets are distributed. If she has a will, then it would be according to her will.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 08:33 AM
    First, the family isn't in poverty because the kids take and take. As a parent you draw lines. So a child begs for money... that doesn't mean you sacrifice your life and your financial well being for the whims of a disrespectful child. Love and financial responsibility don't have to clash.

Second, while its nice to think about what might have been or what should be or whatever, the guy getting the shaft needs to let it go. Yes, its another insult to injury... just another continuation of the same treatment.

There are times when you walk away from that kind of noise. Call it blood money. Call it more trouble than its worth. If he ever gets a dime, then he can worry about what to do with it. In the meantime, the guy needs to just accept the screwed up situation as what it is and just live his life to a better standard. Even if he doesn't get a dime, he will be living a better life.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Another point to bring out here is that an inheritance is not a given. No one should bank on getting one.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Birth Parents in Relation to Adopted Person
    Citation: Cons. Stat. Tit. 755, § 5/2-4(b), (d)

The natural parent and relatives shall take from the adopted person and the adopted person's kindred the property that the adopted person has taken from or through the natural parent or relatives by gift, will, or under intestate laws.

For purposes of inheritance from or through a natural parent, an adopted child is not a child of a natural parent, nor is the child a descendant of a natural parent or of any lineal or collateral kindred of a natural parent, unless one or more of the following conditions apply:

The child is adopted by a descendant or a spouse of a descendant of a great-grandparent of the child, in which case the adopted child is a child of both natural parents.
    A natural parent of the adopted child died before the child was adopted, in which case the adopted child is a child of that deceased parent and an heir of the lineal and collateral kindred of that deceased parent.
    The contrary intent is demonstrated by the terms of the instrument by clear and convincing evidence.
    Ch. Code Art. 1240; 1256(C)
    Upon adoption, the birth parent and relatives of the adopted person are relieved of all of their legal duties and
    Divested of all of their legal rights with regard to the adopted person, including the right of inheritance from the
    Adopted person.

Nov 18, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Comment on kp2171's post
    Great answer. That's what I tell him all the time. Let it go. Hes doing good for himself so why even bother.

Nov 18, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Comment on GV70's post
    Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance Information [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I was notified by my cousin's attorney in Malaysia where he lived the majority of the time and passed away there. It seems that there is some inheritance located in a bank there and the his attorney says that I, as a beneficiary, need to claim the inheritance. What I need to know is...

Is cash inheritance taxable [ 5 Answers ]

Is cash inheritance taxable

Property Deed inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My family has offered to deed property to me in their will, upon their death. What financial responsibility will I inherit with this property, such as taxes?

Inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

A relative who has always lived and resided outside of the US has left a sizable sum, and now I want to bring it in to the USA to buy real estate. What are my California and federal tax obligations ? How long do I have after receiving the funds, to pay the tax obligations ? Thank You

View more questions Search