Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wilsok Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Adding to existing basement drain to move washer
    We have purchased an old wartime home with a cement half basement. We have replace all the plumbing to the main stack with PVC. The main stack is cast iron. The floor drain is in the middle about 2 - 3 feet from the stack. The washer is in the middle of the floor and it drains into the floor drain. I want to move the washer to the wall. I would like to brake up a channel in the floor from the wall to the existing drain. I would put pvc pipe from the wall to the drain and cement over it . I am not sure how I will attach the new pipe to the old drain. I do know that I will have to use a neoprene coupling, which I have used before. Questions: 1. How exactly do I attach the new pipe to the old drain and is that even possible. I don't mean just the connection but how do I cut into the old drain an make that connection. 2. Do I need to have a trap on the new drain where it meets the wall where I will put the washer. 3. I appreciate any advice and If anyone could E-mail me a diagram or further information that would be helpful also.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Much of what you describe could be done but have you considered moving the washer to the wall near the stack? You could install a PVC trap and lateral pipe to a wye that is sliced into the stack. No cement work and your pipe connection would be easier. The most difficult part of my idea is cutting the cast iron to install the wye. If you have a clean out you could tie in at that point with a wye that would still leave you with a clean out. Just a thought.
    wilsok Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 11:46 AM
    Thanks, but the stack is in the middle of the floor and any pipes to it would impeed walking. That's why I want to put it under the floor. Any suggestions how I would tie into the existing drain pipe, which I assume will be cast iron. Also would you know how deep in the ground that pipe would be.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 01:02 PM
    OK, your floor thickness is an unknown, especially in light of the home's age but that drain line is likely only a foot below the surface of the floor. Rather than jack hammer you could saw cut the concrete for a nicer looking finish but it will be dusty. You will have to cut the cast iron pipe. You can rent a rachet cutter or go at it with a reciprocating saw and bi-metal balde. I think they also make a blade for cast iron. You can put in a PVC wye facing downstream. The wye is connected to the cast iron at both ends with a peopreme hub. Sorry I don't have pics of one but write to Speedball1 if you needa pic. He is a picture wealth of knowledge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting shower base to existing basement floor drain? [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking at installing a shower in our basement. I want to use a store bought shower base and I am not sure if I can use the existing floor drain in the basement. First of all there are 2 floor drains located 5 feet apart from each other in my basement. One is next to the water hearter and I...

Adding a Shower Drain in Basement [ 7 Answers ]

I looked through the previous posts, but unfortunately nothing seemed to fit my situation. My wife and I recently bought a house and there is "rough in" for a half bathroom in the basement. We plan on finishing the basement and the wife wants a shower in the new bathroom. I really want to...

Adding bath drain in concrete for existing half bath [ 1 Answers ]

I want to turn a half bath into a full bath in my basement. Currently the washer and dryer along with the water heater are in the half bath along with the commode and sink. I want to add a bath tub and the lay out of the room is such that the tub installation would probably require less work if it...

Feasibility of adding tub to existing basement bath rough-in [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I've spent hours reading through old posts on basement bathroom rough-ins, and I'm definitely more enlighted now than I ever was. But... I have no experience with plumbing and am not confident that I understand all the information I have found on this board well enough to be sure what I...

New basement toilet drain connexion to existing [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning on installing a new basement toilet. I am not fond of upflush systems therefore I would like to connect the new toilet to the existing house drain by replacing the cleanout wye with a double wye as shown on the sketch below. I am however concerned that sewage coming from above may...

View more questions Search