Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jpmf1001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2007, 11:16 PM
    Connecting shower base to existing basement floor drain?
    I am looking at installing a shower in our basement. I want to use a store bought shower base and I am not sure if I can use the existing floor drain in the basement.

First of all there are 2 floor drains located 5 feet apart from each other in my basement. One is next to the water hearter and I plan on using the other one that is located in what used to be a half-bath (just toilet and sink currently).

Second, if I can use the floor drain will I need to remove it and install a new PVC shower drain and p-trap? Or is there some type of conncetion that I can make between the floor drain and the shower base?

The shower base I am looking at is raised and will require a connection to come 2 1/2 inches above the floor. The floor drain is currently cast iron with a 5 inch diameter opening and 3 inches deep, at that point it becomes 2 inches in diameter. The cast iron drain is finished in the concrete floor and the floor drain currently has a p-trap.

I hope I have provided enough information. Any help would be appreciated.

Walter
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 14, 2012, 06:55 AM
    if I can use the floor drain will I need to remove it and install a new PVC shower drain
    The floor drain will have to be remover and a raiser run up above the floor line. I would convert to PVC on the raiser. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving shower drain in basement floor? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to move a shower drain in the basement floor. I am doing a remodel in my basement and the shower drain will have to be moved. I was wondering what the best way to remove the concrete is, and then the best way to make the repair. Thank you Thanks for the help. So should I...

Shower drain in basement floor [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm remodeling the bathroom in my basement. The bathroom now has a toilet & a sink. I just moved in this home. Under the sink cabinet there is what looks like a drian pipe that sticks up from the floor. This is not being used, the drain for the sink is pipe on a seprate pipe. The pipe I'm...

Prefab shower base for basement [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all! Totally new at this... help! Tore out old free standing shower unit in basement. It was tied into the concrete drain with a simple 2' pvc pipe. I'm replacing it soon, but newer styles have "fins" or reinforcements on bottom of base which means I need to build a platform. I'm really not...

Removing shower base in basement [ 6 Answers ]

We are replacing a shower in the basement 32 x 48. We finally got the base off by cutting around it to get it out because the center drain connection was so attached we couldn't remove it any other way. I have photos attached. We are chiseling away now to get to the bottom of this brass drain...

Installing a shower base in the basement [ 17 Answers ]

We bought a home that already had a sewage pump installed in the basement with three drains already installed in the concrete floor that leads to this pump's tank. One was for a toilet (which is covered), another is for a sink (which at present is in use) and the third is a drain pipe (rubber...

View more questions Search