Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 04:59 AM
    Best way is to make a roux which is mixing the flour very well with butter so that you have a paste. This way it doesn't clump, or you can use corn starch mixed with a little water. Both ways will give you creamy smooth gravy. I use a good wisk while adding either.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2007, 09:30 PM
    I agree with Tickle. I make a paste and keep adding broth until it is thin. Then I gradually add it to the hot broth stirring the whole time. I also use cornstarch or Wondra rather than flour.
    When I add it to cold broth it tends to lump.
    vividdaze12 Posts: 30, Reputation: 4

Jan 22, 2008, 02:37 PM
    I take my flour and mix it with milk or water(depending on the type of gravy) and whisk it until it is smooth then I bring the meat broth to a boil and whisk in the flour mixture, it thickens while it boils. This also works using corn starch.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 28, 2008, 02:12 AM
    What I usually do is put some of the juices into a large coffee cup and add flour a bit at a time and whisk with a fork until all lumps are gone. It's easier to get the lumps out of a small ammt, and then you can pour the whole thing back into the juices, and let it do it's thing.

Or you can do it the opposite way. Make a rue with equal parts butter and flour and let it cook down for a few minutes to get the floury taste out (stirring constantly) and then add your juices to the rue. That way there are never any lumps at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My hair is falling out by the root in clumps! [ 3 Answers ]

I've read lots of information about hair falling out and I realize there could be a lot of causes. I am allergic to wheat (but I have been for over 10 years), I do dye my hair (but have been for 30 years and it's very healthy), and I have started menopause (but no real bad symptroms yet). The thing...

Flour [ 3 Answers ]

What is the difference between plain flour and self-raising flour?

Is it Plain Flour or SR Flour? [ 2 Answers ]

I have some flour stored in an unnamed container. Is there some way to tell if it if SR Flour or Plain Flour apart from cooking with it?

Flour [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out which is the best flour to use in America that would be the same as English Plain and Self Raising flours. Thanks Gina

Making Gravy [ 2 Answers ]

How to make the best gravy?

View more questions Search