Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Willzere Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Flour
    What is the difference between plain flour and self-raising flour?
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Jan 17, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Plain flour is just that. Self-raising Flour is simply pre-mixed for you. It's a combination of flour, salt, and a leavening agent (usually baking powder).

Typical ratios are:

U.S. customary:
    One cup flour
    1 to 1½ teaspoon baking powder
    A pinch to ½ teaspoon salt

Metric:
    100 g flour
    3 g baking powder
    1 g or less salt

Hope this helps!!
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2007, 01:49 PM
    The differences between flours are very slim. The only difference between bread flour and all purpose flour is that bread flour contains more gluten which "holds" bread together. Bread flour consist of 99.8% hard wheat flour, small amount of malted barley flour, which improves yeast activity and either vitimin C or Potassium Bromate-increases gluten elasticity and gas retention, Bread flour simply put---cost more!!
    Self-Rising flour,has leavening (form of baking powder) and some salt in it-- If you want to create a substitute for "Self rising" flour use 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 1/4 tsp baking powder and a dash of salt, saves you a little bit of change, same :cool:
    jana mai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2009, 05:48 AM
    Hi !

Self raising flour helps your cake or bread or whatever your making rise!! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

English Bero Flour [ 9 Answers ]

Hello I am living now in Florida and I do not seem to be able to bake with the four. Could you tell me where I could get Bero or English flour to make a Victoria sponge cake. I have tried to make them with American flour but they are not very good Thanks so much, any advice would be welcome...

Is it plain flour or self-raising? [ 15 Answers ]

I have some flour in a storage jar and I can't remember if it is plain or self-raising.! :confused: :confused: :confused: I seem to recall that there is some way of telling, like by mixing it with water and seeing if it bubbles, but... I tried that with some flour that is in a bag still, so I...

Plain Flour [ 3 Answers ]

In Australia, recipes either use plain flour or self raising flour. I wish to use an American recipe. May plain flour be used in place of 'all purpose flour'?

Plain flour [ 3 Answers ]

Could you tell me how to use plain flour in self-rising flour recipes?

Flour [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out which is the best flour to use in America that would be the same as English Plain and Self Raising flours. Thanks Gina

View more questions Search