Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ame123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 10:01 PM
    Heil SP80 furnace malfunction - possibly the valve
    The electric igniter does not ignite when the furnace should. The blower works fine, and is the first thing that goes on when the furnace is on for a heat. When I press on the wiring connector that goes into the valve the igniter then gets red hot and then the fire begins.

I was wondering if this could be a simple wiring problem - thin wires sometimes break and it's virtually impossible to see due to the opaque wire housing, although there does not seem to be a kink in any of the wires. I'd rather look at replacing the cheaper item (wires) first before spending about $185 on a valve.

Based on having to press on the connector to the valve in order to get the fire lit, what do you think is the most likely problem - the wires or the valve?

Thanks!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 11, 2007, 09:49 AM
    I would check out the wiring first because it is the cheapest. If the valve is a Honeywell smart valve they are know for being junk at the connectors. You will have to replace the valve unless you can wedge something non combustible between the wires forcing them to make good connection.
    ame123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 08:55 PM
    THANK YOU for your response - I will do what you suggest, and look toward replacing the wires and connectors. Have a great day!
    tsa7man Posts: 154, Reputation: 9

Nov 12, 2007, 02:22 PM
    As stated by one of your earlier replies, your problem is MOST likely the connection in the smart valve ( gas valve), VERY doubtful that it is the wiring harness...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heil Furnace [ 10 Answers ]

I have A Heil Furnace that starts up just fine Model #NDG1075DFo1, but after its running for 5 minutes or so it gets another call for heat, fills the gas box with naatural gas and re-lights this mix pretty violently. This may happen a few times during the heating cycle until the thermostat is...

HEIL furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Our heil furnace won't stay lit. It goes out after we release the pilot button. Any suggestion?

Furnace malfunction [ 8 Answers ]

I have an old (14 years ?) York Stellar furnace that used to have this problem sometimes. When the gas was released over the red glowing electric igniter, it would ignite with a more or less loud pop that would also kill the flames. Then it would go again through the whole sequence and everything...

Heil furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I have bought a house with a furnace and I cannot get the pilot to light. I am asking for some type of manual so I can figure this out. The model is VG-80MD-1 and the serial is H73838067. The house was built in 1977 and I am sure this is the original Thanks for any info

Furnace malfunction [ 2 Answers ]

Why would my furnace kick off and say limited cycle on the code ?on a coleman evcon

View more questions Search