Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    casper1173 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 01:59 AM
    1986 dodge ram 50
    I have a 1986 Dodge ram 50 that will not start. I have checked the battery it is good.
    When I turn the key nothing happens. What should I do.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 10, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by casper1173
    I have a 1986 Dodge ram 50 that will not start. I have checked the battery it is good.
    when I turn the key nothing happens. What should I do.
    You say nothing happens? No lights on the dash? Does the horn or headlights work?
    Make certain the connection at both ends of both battery cables are clean and tight.
    Make sure the fuses are good and that there is no corrosion.
    casper1173 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    You say nothing happens? No lights on the dash? Does the horn or headlights work?
    Make certain the connection at both ends of both battery cables are clean and tight.
    Make sure the fuses are good and that there is no corrosion.
    Yes all the lights, horn everything works, but when I turn the key nothing. It doesen't even try to turn over.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 10, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Make certain the battery is fully charged.
    Follow both Positve and Negative battery cable from the battery all the way to the ends.
    The cable may have come loose. Test for voltage at the starter positive terminal with a standard test light.
    Still there may be an open/faulty ignition switch. If you have an Automatic Trans, test for power through the neutral safety switch. For Standard shift, through the clutch cut-out switch, then make sure that switch's power goes all the way to the starter.
    If all that checks good, replace the starter. Got tools?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Dodge ram [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove the dashboard from my 2001 Dodge ram in order to hard wire by sirius radio?

Dodge ram a/c [ 14 Answers ]

A friend of mine has a dodge ram truck and his a/c is not working. Just warm/hot air comes out. I looked under the hood and see that the compressor activates for about a second and then shuts off for about 5 seconds. On and off just like that. I put a similar relay for the a/c clutch relay but...

2002 Dodge ram [ 1 Answers ]

My truck will crank and sounds real good, but it will not stay running, even if I try to press the accelerator. It just dies. Any ideas on what could be wrong and the least expensive things to check first?

View more questions Search