Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimbrle1019 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Significant other adopting my daughter
    I have been living with a man for 9 months who my daughter considers a father figure and calls daddy. He would like to adopt her. Can he do this without us getting married? I have a mental illness, can he also have guardianship of me? My daughters father is deceased. :confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Generally a court will look for a greater commitment than 9 months to allow for an adoption.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 3, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Some states in the US still require you to be married to adopt, others will allow a "life partner" but as noted, in general if not married, they look for a longer term relastionship.

Next as for as guardianship, that is if your mental condition would not allow you to care or know how to care for yourself. I would say if you can use the internet, and ask tese questions you don't need a guardian at this point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting my step daughter [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible for me to adopt my step daughter? The situation is that her father is on the birth certificate but does not play a role in her life. My wife has full legal custody and a protective order agonist the father preventing him of knowing where we live. He pays no child support or has no...

Soon to be husband adopting my daughter in PA [ 11 Answers ]

My daughter's "sperm donor" and I broke up when I was 3 months pregnant. She just turned 5 in July. He has never seen her, or even a picture of her for that matter, has never called to see how she was doing, has never paid child support, has never bought her anything. His name is not on the...

Adopting my step-daughter [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has been raising his daughter on his own since she was about 6 weeks old. When we started dating she was a little over 2 years old. Her birth mother has been in and out of her life since she was born and pretty much just did it because of a jealousy thing. She had weekend visitation on...

Boyfriend Adopting My Daughter [ 2 Answers ]

My Daughter is 3 months old next saturday and I want to know if my Boy-friend can adopt her. Her bio father has never seen her and has never been in her life since she was in my belly. I want him to adopt her so that she has a father that loves her and doesn't use drugs or sell drugs either.

Adopting a step daughter [ 4 Answers ]

My step daughter's Father is now dead and she would like me to adopt her so that she can genuinely feel part of our family. I would also like this to happen but what is involved in the legal process and how long does this take. Also is there a large cost involved?

View more questions Search