Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mondetta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Baseboard Heaters making clicking/tinking noises
    Hello,

I've recently purchased a new home and with the cooler weather approaching started turning on the heat. I currently have baseboard heaters (brand new) that when you turn them on they make a clicking and/or knocking noise spuratically. The noises occur randomnly but are very annoying and it's hard to sleep with a Click, Tink, Click, Tink in the background. Does any one know how to remediate this clicking & tinking noise in these new heaters of mine? It does happen on several of the heaters in my house.

I would appreciate anyone's guidance on how to stop the clicking and tinking in my heaters.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 07:30 AM
    While I do not know how to stop it, I believe this is the hot water running through the colder pipes making the metal expand,ever so slightly, the ticking is just a normal sound produced by the system.

I have radiant heat in my shop, as it warms up it makes the ticking sounds, even when it cools off too, typical of this kind of heating system.

Ken
    fixmenow Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Try to adjust boiler temp settings to lower levels... your water will circulate longer at a lower temp to reduce the expansion and contraction of the base board pipes... if you have a high limit... low limit dial... just turn low limit to a lower setting... trial and error make notes of original settings
    bolt in blue Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Nov 4, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fixmenow
    try to adjust boiler temp settings to lower levels...your water will circulate longer at a lower temp to reduce the expansion and contraction of the base board pipes...if you have a high limit ...low limit dial...just turn low limit to a lower setting...trial and error make notes of original settings
    Are your baseboards electric or hot water (gas or oil fired boiler with hot water flowing through the baseboards)? Fixmenow's advice is right on for a boiler based system, but these days, almost all baseboard heat that's put in is electric units (self contained, no boiler to adjust). With electric baseboards, there isn't really anything you can adjust on them.
    franz546 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2009, 03:52 PM
    You have to "BLEED" the radiators. If you have a contract with your company, have them do it. If not, pull off the radiator cover and there may be a small screw. Loosen the screw until all the air is out. When you see some water come out, tighten the screw.
    bolt in blue Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2009, 04:02 PM

Holy old thread batman! This question was asked over a year ago, so is probably solved by now.
    FMJ_S Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2011, 06:55 PM
    Yes, but.. then there are people like me, who Google search such issues, and then find these responses.

Even if no longer helpful to the original poster, late answers may be helpful to someone!
    TheCarl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2012, 03:24 AM
    Agreed FMJ_S as I too am a testament to that.
    bettyboop222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2013, 01:42 PM
    Yes this was very helpful as I just bought an old beat up bungalow with the annoying same noise and EXACT to the word question! Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New to baseboard heaters [ 24 Answers ]

Hello; I need a lot of electrical help/advice. I am trying to install an electrical baseboard heater in a basement room (15'X10'). My friend helped me already do the following: Run the conduit and electrical box for thermostat Pull all the wires Mounted the baseboard heater to the wall We...

Electric baseboard heaters -wiring 1 thermostat to two heaters [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to heat my new garage with electric baseboard heaters. The new garage is 20X24 feet. I would like to use only one 240V #12 2 wire circuit running two heaters at a total of 3800 watts. I plan to use 2 pole 20A breakers and 2c #12 wire. I would like to have both heaters controlled...

Baseboard heaters [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Are there any rules for running #10 to Junction boxes in basement right below heaters and tapping off with 12/2 to them less than 6'. I'm running 30 amp circuit for 6000 watts of baseboard heat in parallel

Electric baseboard heaters [ 3 Answers ]

One of my electric baseboard heaters makes a high pitched hum when turned on to 70 degrees, unlike the others. What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Baseboard heaters [ 12 Answers ]

Hi all.. New to the forum.. Thanks in advance for any help.. I am trying to set up new baseboard heating in my basement.. My questions are to what size breakers to use and if I can put it all on one circuit.. I want to set up 3 rooms: Room 1 - 2 1000 watt heaters Room 2 & 3 - 1 1500 watt...

View more questions Search