Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Randall Boone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 02:17 AM
    Trying to get visitation.
    Can you please help me. Here is a quick background. I met a girl and had a relationship with her for over a year. I found out later that she was actually married and her husband was in Afganistan. Needless to say we broke up but had a baby before we did. She told me 1 1/2 years later he was mine and even let me visit with him before I flew back home.(I was getting out of the military) She told me before I left that I would be able visit him often and not to worry about doing anything legal. She is back with her husband and now she won't talk to me. I've told her I was going to get a lawyer but that just makes her mad. She says that if I pursue it legally that I'll never see him again. I just need to know if I have a case because I don't want to take the chance of never seeing him again. I want to pay child support and I want visitation. Is there any thing I can do? Thank you so much.
    -Randy

p.s. my name is not on the birth certificate
    And I am 100% sure he is mine because he looks just like me.
    Also she is non-cooperative and most likely will not agree to anything.
    famlee Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

Oct 31, 2007, 02:52 PM
    In some states, if she was married, then her husband is legally that baby's father. If she won't cooperate with you, then your only choice will be to hire an attorney and seek visitation/custody or walk away.
    Randall Boone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by famlee
    In some states, if she was married, then her husband is legally that baby's father. If she won't cooperate with you, then your only choice will be to hire an attorney and seek visitation/custody or walk away.
    Thanks for the response. Well, I know walking away will never be an option for me, especially after I know he's mine and I've spent time with him. My only fear of getting an attorney is if it doesn't work. Then I'm screwed. :(
    famlee Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

Oct 31, 2007, 04:33 PM
    The only reason it shouldn't work is if she proves the child is not yours or she can prove you unfit to be in his life. Proving that you shouldn't have any visitation, not even supervised, is very hard to do. Most courts strive to keep both parents in the child's life and do what is in best interest of the child. You might not win custody, if this is what you want, but you most certainly should be allowed visitations. How far apart do you live? If it is a good ways, you most likely wouldn't get every other weekend or like that due to the expense, but so many days out of a month/ certain holidays for x amount of time, and so much of the summer.

Good luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2007, 05:42 PM
    You can get a free consultation before deciding how to proceed. If her husband is on the birth certificate then you might have a hard time here. As famlee said, if the husband accepts the child he's the legal father. It may be too late for you go through a paternity test and get yourself acknowledged as the father. But that is your first step. Once you can get that done, then you can file for custody and visitation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Visitation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my husband's ex wife moved to a different city, now he could only see his son on Christmas or New Year depending of the year and half of his vacation. This year he got for Christmas and his school brake is on the 18th, but his last day of school is on Friday the 15 now he wants to pick him up...

Say No To Visitation [ 1 Answers ]

How old does a child in Massachusetts have to be to decide he or she does not want to visit a parent who has joint legal visitation?

Visitation? [ 2 Answers ]

Question: In the next few months I will be moving out of state. I have a child with my ex-wife and I need to know what my rights are as far as visitation. I'm moving 500 miles away. What do I do.

Visitation [ 3 Answers ]

I have full custody of my 10 month old son. His father has visitation every other weekend and takes my son to his home. He has told me that he lives alone, but I have come to find out that he moved in w/his new girlfriend. I have no problem w/who he lives in, but he refuses to introduce me to...

Visitation [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently in a custody battle with my x over my 13 year 3 mo. Old son. HIs father left him at my house almost 8 months ago. We have joint custody however I do not get child support nor have I ever. My son has only heard from his dad 4 or 5 times since he left him at my house in February. ...

View more questions Search