Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tcmack Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 08:38 AM
    New switch trips breaker
    I added a plg strip to an existing circuit,and plugged fluorscent fixture into strip.I then wired a switch and plugged it into strip. Off the switch I ran two 14/3 cables with plugs on the end to be used with portable lights.When switch is on everything works fine, but when I turn switch to off position the breaker trips.I tried a different plugstrip with same result.I then bypassed
    Plug strip and plugged switch directly into outlet and then fuse blows.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 10:23 AM
    What? "I then wired a switch and plugged it into strip."

This may be your problem. If the switch is across the hot and neutral of the plugstrip, when the switch is on it will be dead short.

Really need to know exactly how this is wired, wire for wire. Pictures will help a great deal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Turning on light switch trips breaker. [ 3 Answers ]

This is another 2 fold problem. I've just purchased an older home and the wiring in the master bedroom is giving me major problems. Problem 1 has to do with receptacles and a light switch. There are 6 receptacles and 2 light switches in the room which is also connected to the bathroom light and...

Light switch trips circuit breaker [ 11 Answers ]

I just bought a house and there is a set of 3 light switches two of them look exactly the same and work perfectly fine, but the third on looks different and when you flip the switch on it trips the breakers for the entire living room. What could be the problem and is there an easy fix?

Light switch trips breaker [ 4 Answers ]

Here's question number 2 in switching out fans and light fixtures. I replaced the ceiling fan in my son's room with one from our previous home. After getting everything wired rather difficult because of some very short wires, the ceiling fan will work with the remote, but using the wall switch...

Square d pressure switch trips circuit breaker [ 1 Answers ]

My square d water pressure switch 30-50 cut in and out switch needs help.when it drops to 30 cut in pressure it trips the circuit breaker has to be manually starter with lever on the side of the square d switch,it might work properly 3 or 4 times then it trips the circuit breaker please help if you...

New 15A breaker trips main 100A breaker [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I've been finishing my basement and I added a few 15A breakers One room has 8 outlets in series with the first starting about 6 feet from the main panel. There is currently no load on this outlets. When installing the drywall I accidentally shorted the outlet closest to the panel. It...

View more questions Search