Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lambchop Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Free Rent to Employees
    I work for a guest ranch and on our property we have employee housing. The housing consists of 1 & 2 bedroom apts, as well as studios. Several employees are currently living in these apts free of rent while others pay rent. Those that live in the apts for free are on-call as a manager on duty 1 or two days a week - thus justifying their free rent. Should they be paying taxes on this "free rent"?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2007, 12:22 PM
    The way my state does it is if no money exchanges hands they are not required to pay taxes on it.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 26, 2007, 08:49 PM
    That varies from state-to-state.

The IRS would consider the "free" rent compensation and assess a tax on it IF they knew about it, which they probably do not.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Oct 27, 2007, 02:54 PM
    The answer is that it depends. If they have to be on site to do their job then the rent may not be income (think of a manager who is required to live on site at an apartment complex etc). But it does not sound like that is the case here, in which case the rent not paid is income.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 28, 2007, 06:56 AM
    TTE has a point about the apartment manager. However, In my opinion, the ON-CALL requirement by itself is NOT enough to make the freerent non-income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free/Almost Free Online Multiplayer Games [ 51 Answers ]

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone could recommend any free/nearly free online multiplayer games. A few friends and I are looking for some good games over the internet. Preferably something other than a MMORPG as you have to devote a lot of time to those in order to keep up with each other. ...

Amortization of free rent by leasee [ 4 Answers ]

My company received two months free rent. I know that this free rent has to be amortized. But do not know exactly when and how to record this free rent. What journal entry should I make to record that free rent amortization? Can you suggest any accounting book that shows exactly how to record...

Free Rent amortization [ 4 Answers ]

We have given tenants a free month of rent as an inducment. This should be spread over the length of the lease. What journal entry is required to record this.

We want rent-free tenant to leave [ 2 Answers ]

We are a church that offered a rent-free room to a college kid several years ago in exchange for security duties. He is now an adult with a college education but without a full-time job. There is no written contract or lease, money has never been exchanged. We've been asking him to leave for five...

View more questions Search