Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yashin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Free Rent amortization
    We have given tenants a free month of rent as an inducment. This should be spread over the length of the lease. What journal entry is required to record this.
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

Jun 26, 2007, 09:44 AM
    I suppose this would be a type of discount. So what I think the journal entries should be is.

Rent Discount -> Debit for rent payment
    Accounts Receivable -> Credit their account for the rent payment

Not entirely sure though so maybe wait for a better answer or someone to confirm this.
    bhet Posts: 77, Reputation: 9

Jun 26, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Dr. Accounts receivable
    dr. rent discount (your free rent, balancing figure)
    Cr. Rent income ( Total rent + the free rent)

The free rent would be amortized over the life of the rent. By debeting cash, amortization of rent discount and crediting accounts receivable.
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

Jun 27, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Question for bhet. Why would you cr rent income?; the reason I ask this is because you do not earn any income off that free month. So shouldn't you just dr the rent discount and cr the accounts receivable because you are taking that month Off their record making it the same as if they paid it (you have dr accounts receivable but I believe you meant cr. Just wondering though because it makes no sense to me why you would add income from something you aren't earning income off but instead lowering your income.

Please get back to me and Yashin on this please.
    bhet Posts: 77, Reputation: 9

Jun 27, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Nope, cr rent income, the explanation for that is the cost revenue principle. Rent income is creditted because it is the "sopposed to be income," if the lessor didn't gave any free rent.
    Since the lessor agreed to have a free rent, then that free rent would be charged against him as "amortization of rent discount ," it goes with the cost revenue principle. The amortization of rent discount is an expense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depreciation and amortization [ 1 Answers ]

What do accountants mean by the term depreciation and what is its relashionship to depletionand amortization?

Amortization [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use amortization for a security system just put in for a small business.. how do I do it?

We want rent-free tenant to leave [ 2 Answers ]

We are a church that offered a rent-free room to a college kid several years ago in exchange for security duties. He is now an adult with a college education but without a full-time job. There is no written contract or lease, money has never been exchanged. We've been asking him to leave for five...

View more questions Search