Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    appleseed1203 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Speed and acceleration using polar coordinates
    A particle P has polar coordinates (r, theta). The movement of P is described as the vectorial sum of forces,

F1=-mk(sq)r
    F2=-2mbv

(a) write the equations of movement
    (b) suppose that the second derivative of theta is 0, determine r(t), theta(t) and thus deduce r(theta), and the speed of the particle P.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 24, 2007, 10:25 AM
    I'm not sure about the notation you're using - I can't tell which direction your force vectors are acting. However, when working in polar coordinates remember (memorize!) that:

where and are the unit vectors in the radial and tangential directions, respectively. Using these equations, and the fact that the forces can be divided into radial and tangential components so that you have two equations in the form should allow you to get the answers.
    appleseed1203 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Yup I've got the answer. Thanks!
    asKnightstorm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 11:03 PM
    @ebaines, Can You elaborate on how you arrived at those equations?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 02:37 PM

Wow - dragging up a post over two years old! But OK - see: Polar coordinate system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    About two thirds of the way down you'll find these two equations:

The notation used is slightly different, in that here is the unit vector in the radial direction and is the unit vector in the tangential direction. If you're studying kinematics in polar coordinates the derivation of this should be in your text book.
    asKnightstorm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 02:05 AM

@ebaines ,never mind.. I figured it out moments after posting my question.. I don't think this site has a "delete question" button anywhere.. thanks anyway.
    for the curious /people too lazy to remember it: here's a simple way to do it:
    let A point P(r,angle w) can be transformed to cartesian coordinates in the following way:
    unit vector along r: (cos(w),sint(w)) : equation 1
    and unit vector along t: (-sin(w),cos(w)) :equation 2
    deriving equations 1 and 2 wrt time give relations with each other in terms of their derivatives.
    velocity = d(vector r)/dt and acceleration is d(vector velocity)/dt.
    where vector r=r*(equation 1)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Speed, Velocity, and Acceleration [ 1 Answers ]

Hans stands at the rim of the Grand Canyon and models down to the bottom. He hears his yodel echo back from the canyon floor 5.20s later. Assume that the speed of sound in air is 340.0 m/s. How deep os the canyon at this location? :eek:

Physics, finding speed, velocity and acceleration [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find velocity speed and acceleration. How do I label the problems when I am done.

Speed, velocity, acceleration [ 5 Answers ]

What must be your average speed in order to travel 200 km in 3.25 h? A bird can fly 26 km/h. How long does it take to fly 19 km? If you are driving 116 km/h along a straight road and you look to the side for 3.0 s, how far do you travel during this inattentive period? A horse canters away...

Substituting derivative of acceleration for acceleration [ 1 Answers ]

Can the derivative of acceleration be subsituted for a in f=ma?

View more questions Search