Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elle548 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2007, 11:48 PM
    Rental property under foreclosure
    I own a rental property that I hold title only in my name. My husband holds title on our primary residence only in his name. The rental property is currently in foreclosure. I owe 520K property values went way down to 390K. I was told that if I file B.K the taxes that would incur from a 1099 can be wiped out. Is this correct? Will my husband have to file B.K. along with me? Can they put a lien on my primary home? This is in California.
    pacific nw Posts: 117, Reputation: 11
    -

Oct 22, 2007, 12:55 AM
    If you file a Chapt 13 or a Chapt 7 it will temporarily stop the foreclosure of any property in your name or that you have an interest in. Your husband doesn't need to file. A BK rarely wipes out taxes. It is unlikely that they can put a lien on property that doesn't have your name on it. Check with a BK attorney for details. They should give you a 30 minute consoltation for free through the local bar association.
    elle548 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 09:43 PM
    Thank you for your help. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure on the Second/Rental property [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Dilek, I was wondering if anyone knows or experienced about foreclosures. We cannot keep up paying our mortgage payments in our second property that was our primary residence until we bought a house thinking that we will make money by keeping the condo as rental, but we cannot rent...

Pre-foreclosure on rental property. What are my rights as renter? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been renting this home for the past 3 years and have always paid rent on time to the homeowner. I recently received a notice that the property will be in foreclosure if the owner does not bring her mortgage up to date by the end of this month. The owner denies that the home is about to be...

Can I lose current home if rental goes to foreclosure? [ 4 Answers ]

We bought a house about four years ago, and put our old one up for sale. When the old one didn't sell, we rented it out and tried to sell again between tenants. Four years later, the rental house has depreciated so much that it is almost worthless. We have had it on the market almost a year, and...

Rental Deposit and Foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

What happens to a tenant's deposit when a property is sold at a foreclosure sale and the new owner continues the lease? California

Foreclosure on rental home [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a rental home and I received a notice from a lawyer that the house is being forclosed on and that there are 8 claims against my landlord. I just paid rent for this month and am pretty sure that the landlord is not going to give me back my deposit. I moved in 2 months ago and have paid...

View more questions Search