Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rollin70301 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Troy-bilt self propelled troubles
    Hi I have a troy-bilt self propelled that has the recall. It is out of warranty so I ordered the service kit myself I put the new pulleys and belt on it still does not work. I also put new rear wheels and drive cable it still turns the wheels till I put them on the ground then it does not have enough force to propell mower. Any help would be helpful.Thanks...
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Did you lose a shear pin. It's probably a half moon looking thing that connects the shaft to the drive pulley. I just replaced one on my snow blower.

Basically, it's turning with friction, but there is no transfer of power because it's not connected via the pin. Pin is a bad word to use.

Look for a slot in a pulley and a corresponding depression in the shaft. These should be linked by a half moon piece of metal which willl sheer when the drive system is overloaded.

Oct 13, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Hi Thanks I did not shear a key . Thanks anyway.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Have you got the cable attached with plastic wire , or zip ties which ever one you want to call them to the frame or handle bars?

Oct 13, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Hi yes I have it zip tied to handle bars.Thanks...
    kgl1919 Posts: 24, Reputation: 3

Oct 24, 2007, 05:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin70301
    Hi i have a troy-bilt self propelled that has the recall. It is out of warranty so i ordered the service kit myself i put the new pulleys and belt on it still does not work. I also put new rear wheels and drive cable it still turns the wheels till i put them on the ground then it does not have enough force to propell mower. Any help would be helpful.Thanks.....
    Interesting use of the word "recall". Checking with the CPSC, there was no such recall as stated by so many users in this and other forums. The 800 series Troy Bilt units built in 2005 were the first ever of that design. While there were some drive problems identified in the field, those were solved with updates under warranty. Subsequent model year units included all updates.
    electrph Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kgl1919
    Interesting use of the word "recall". Checking with the CPSC, there was no such recall as stated by so many users in this and other forums. The 800 series Troy Bilt units built in 2005 were the first ever of that design. While there were some drive problems identified in the field, those were solved with updates under warranty. Subsequent model year units included all updates.
    Well if that is true why has my 2007 T/B 800 been repaired for that same problem For the 2nd time.First time last year it was 2 months old and now in shop for same repair(drive won't engage all the way chatters and won't propell self.Sure hope right repair parts are installed this time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troy Bilt Self-Propelled Lawn Mower's [ 13 Answers ]

Anyone who recently purchased a Troy Bilt Self-Propelled Lawn Mower from either Lowe's or Home Depot within the last 12 months - should be aware that there is a Manufacturer Defect with these. Troy Bilt had a recall that happened on 3/12/05 and never notified these stores, nor consumers after...

Troy Bilt Self Propelled Mower [ 8 Answers ]

I have a fairly new Troy Bilt self propelled mower. The propulsion system is not working properly. If the wheels are held off the ground they do turn but once they are set down, they do not propel the mower. I could take it in but then I wouldn't get it back for weeks. Any ideas for a "fix" I...

Troy-Bilt self propelled mower [ 1 Answers ]

I am "stuck" with one of these defective mowers and have lost my recept, ( the dog ate it!! ) to compound the issue, I purchased it outright with cash at Lowe's. Is there anything I can do to get Troy-Bilt to honor the warranty and make the repairs, if not any idea how costly a situation this may...

View more questions Search