Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    htcbrb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Heart disease
    My mother died of congestive heart failure. There were many days when she did not urinate, she had a catherer. Her body held so much fluid in it. Is there such a thing as drowning in your own fluids?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 12, 2007, 05:43 PM
    First let me say that I am sorry for your loss. I completely understand as I went through it this summer with my father.

It is very hard to explain. CHF is a very complicated disease of which there is no cure, but there are treatments to help.

People with CHF tend to retain fluid and get what is called ascites (swelling usually around the abdomen), but they don't drown in the technical sense as having fluid built up in their lungs as if they drowned in a pool.

Have you read this? It is a very easy read with a lot of good information.

Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment Information on MedicineNet.com
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2007, 07:06 PM
    I think chf is where there is excessive pressure against the external area of the heart from the fluid buildup causing the heart to not be able to beat because it has not got the room to expand and contract as it normally would.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heart disease [ 1 Answers ]

What's the youngest age you can get heart disease?

Heart To Heart (BBC News) [ 4 Answers ]

Hello fellow AMHD Devotees, Just thought I'd share this news story with everyone as I thought it was pretty fantastic! BBC NEWS | Health | Woman face-to-face with own heart Goes to show how important organ donation can be! :) And this one, that literally made my skin crawl;

Heart disease and ambrotose [ 2 Answers ]

Will this nutritional supplement help

Exercises and heart disease [ 3 Answers ]

I think I have problems with my heart because I have chest pains and left arm pains too,also arythmic beats of the heart.but I love bodybuilding and I am a beginner in it ,do 45 minutes including 15 minutes warm-up harm my heart more.my barbell is 40 kg and my dummbell 8 kg

Dog won't eat (had to switch food because of heart disease) [ 4 Answers ]

My 14 year old (13.4 pound) peke refuses to eat or just eats a little per meal. He was diagnosed with heart disease so I had to switch his food to Hill's h/d prescription diet food and then I have tried Hill's k/d prescription diet food. Some meals (feeding him twice a day - 1/8 of the can mixed...

View more questions Search