Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scagman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Mazda MPV Charging system
    I have a 1990 MPV, the voltage regulator failed (which meant a new alternator). After renewing alternator the battery failed, renewed it. NOW after starting the engine the alternator charges 14.5 volts for a few minutes then quits charging (12 volts). The alternator will begin charging after an hour or two of shutdown, and then for only a few minutes. Incidentally the charging light does not illuminate on the dashboard. Before I buy another alternator and go through the nightmare of renewing it has anyone got an idea of what's wrong?

Thanks,
    Rutledge, TN
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2007, 05:36 PM
    The problem may reside with the ECM. You may want to get it diagnosed or substitute a known-good ECM.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

97 Nissan Sentra starting/charging system problems [ 1 Answers ]

I am having some problem with a 97 Nissan Sentra starting and charging system. It first would not start but would get lights on the dash, so I had the battery and alternator tested both on and off the car. They both tested bad (12.9 volts output on the alt), so I replaced the battery and got an...

1993 Mazda MPV charging system [ 3 Answers ]

MPV, 3.0L V6. Had an issue with the charge light and fuel light coming on at the same time (gas tank half full). Voltage at the battery with engine running was 11.3 volts. Replaced the alternator and everything was fine, voltage showed 14.0 volts. Went for a short drive and charge and fuel...

Briggs Stratton 133400 battery charging system [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a simple book or diagram on line for trouble shooting/ Do you know the basics of how the system works? I don't think mine is charging although the starter seems to work OK once I charge the battery from protable charger.

Murry Riding Mower Charging System [ 2 Answers ]

I replaced my battery in my 13.5 hp Murry riding mower. I got two starts on it and the battery died. I had the battery tested and it was good. I was told the starting solenoid would not be the problem. The battery is not getting recharged. The key is in the off position, my lights are not...

1993 Mazda MPV brakes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a '93 MPV (rear ABS) that is displaying some odd braking behavior. When I pump the brakes, the pedal travels slowly to the floor (it goes farther with each pump) until it bottoms out. Then the idiot light comes on. When I release the brakes, the braking returns to normal and the light...

View more questions Search