Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maya07 Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Oct 7, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Troy Built Tiller- No Start after Oil Change
    Hello,

I just purchased a used tiller that was running fine before the oil change.
    No manual was provided to me so I am a little unsure as to the process to change the
    Oil, more specifically how much oil to add (no dipstick). I put in two quarts which filled
    It to the top of the block. Now when I pull the starter cord there seems to be
    Too much compression inside the motor, it will not pull to start. This tiller has two drain plugs, two yellow caps at the base of the motor one reads oil fill, and the other says nothing.
    There is also a white cap located at the top of the block which appears to be where you add the oil. The tiller is a 2004 Troy-Built Super Bronco model # 21A634A766.

This appears to be a pretty standard model that Lowe's carries. Can anyone send me some
    Advise, I have a sneaking suspicion two quarts is too much oil. I have searched the
    Internet to try to download a manual, but it appears I will need to purchase one
    And I really need this tiller to be up and running the week (asap).

Thanks,
    Adrienne
    jocko009 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Oct 7, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by maya07
    Hello,

No manual was provided to me so I am a little unsure as to the process to change the
    oil, more specifically how much oil to add (no dipstick). I put in two quarts which filled
    it to the top of the the block. Now when I pull the starter cord there seems to be
    to much compression inside the motor, it will not pull to start. This tiller has two drain plugs, two yellow caps at the base of the motor one reads oil fill, and the other says nothing.
    There is also a white cap located at the top of the block which appears to be where you add the oil. The tiller is a 2004 Troy-Built Super Bronco model # 21A634A766.

This appears to be a pretty standard model that Lowe's carries. Can anyone send me some
    advise, I have a sneaking suspicion two quarts is to much oil. I have searched the
    internet to try to download a manual, but it appears I will need to purchase one
    and I really need this tiller to be up and running the week (asap).

Thanks,
    Adrienne
    Most small motors use about one quart of oil. If that is right, then two quarts fills it so full that the piston does not have room to move forward for the down stroke, Since on the down stroke there must be an air space for the piston to move into.
    For starters, I would drain out all of the oil, and refill with one quart. Also check to see if oil flows out of the oil fill hole when about one quart is added
    Lots of luck Jocko009
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Well, I certainly agree that two quarts is too much oil. I would think that it would hold 18, or 20 oz. if there is no dipstick, set the tine depth to where the tiller's motor is setting level, then remove the yellow cap and fill to the top of the hole on the bottom side of hole.
    maya07 Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Oct 8, 2007, 05:41 PM
    Many thanks, to the two that posted advise to my questions. I made to decision to
    Take it to the shop today and it looks like it has a problem inside the motor with some
    Type of compression release assembly. Just to let you know when I took it in this
    a.m. the first thing that was done was to drain all of the oil and refill to the proper level.
    Still too much compression, second the repair man seem to think that the valves needed to
    Be adjusted, still did not fix. The last conclusion was to break down the motor to replace
    The compression release assembly. This is information that in the end I am paying for but wanted to share the knowledge.
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Don't expect to get out of this one cheaply, unless it is still in warranty.
    Billybe7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by maya07
    Hello,

oil, more specifically how much oil to add (no dipstick). I put in two quarts which filled
    it to the top of the the block. Now when I pull the starter cord there seems to be
    to much compression inside the motor, it will not pull to start. This tiller has two drain plugs, two yellow caps at the base of the motor one reads oil fill, and the other says nothing.

advise, I have a sneaking suspicion two quarts is to much oil. I have searched the
    internet to try to download a manual, but it appears I will need to purchase one
    and I really need this tiller to be up and running the week (asap).

Thanks,
    Adrienne
    You need to drain the oil and remove the yellow plug that says oil filler add oil to this hole until it starts to come out of the hole. It should take about 6\8 of a quart. You have too much oil in there now.
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2008, 08:03 AM
    18 to 20 ounces should be sufficient. Fill and check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too much Oil? Troy Built Riding Mower smoking [ 2 Answers ]

My Troy Built riding mower is smoking? Did I put too much oil in? If so, can I run it for a while to fix the problem? Thank You RM:( :(

Sears Mower won't start after oil change, blade sharpening & cleaning [ 2 Answers ]

I spent a lot of time sharpening my blade on a 6 month old Sears self-propelled, key start, Briggs & Stratton 6.75 mower (yes I removed it first). While I was doing that I figured I'd clean it up and do an oil change. I tipped it up vertical to get to the blade and clean the underside with my...

B/S 8hp troy built tiller w/electric start. [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a four year old Troy Built tiller with a batter and electric start. I want to do away with the battery and still have electric start like my snow blowers do. Any one know what I have to do to change this over? Thanks, Bob Henning [email protected]

View more questions Search