Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chris10000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 06:47 AM
    2 Heaters on 1 220 line?
    I have a 2000 Watt 220 convection heater and would like to add another one to the same wire.

Can this be done?
    Is it the circuit breaker tripping or melting of the wire that is the danger?
    Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 07:53 AM
    A breaker is designed to monitor amperage, and trip if the amp draw exceeds the amp rating of the breaker. This is to protect the wire that is matched to the breaker from overheating due to excessive amp draw.

Before adding more load to any circuit, the wire size and breaker size must be noted, and the total load must be known.

Electric heat is to be considered as continuous load, so the circuit must be derated by 80%, or another way of putting it, increase the size of the branch circuit by 125% of the actual load.

By the way, if your located in USA, standard voltage is 240 volts for residential. So 240 must be used in any calculations.

A 2000 watt load at 240 volts draws 8.34 amps. Min circuit size is 8.34 x 1.25=10.5 amps, so this heater alone will require a min of #14 wire on a 15 amp breaker. A 15 amp breaker and circuit can be loaded to 12 amps.

So, if you have #14 wire, not much more room for more load.

Most electric heat circuits are installed using a min of #12 wire on a 20 amp breaker, and can be loaded to 16 amps. If this is what you have, you can add 8 more amps of load.

If you know the size circuit you have, with this information you can figure this out on your own. If you need more info, get back with your questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What wall a/c unit do I get with my new 220 line? [ 14 Answers ]

Last year I had an electritian run a 220 line for me so I could get a nice size all a/c unit to cool the living room and dining room area. I just started to look for a unit and I am very confused. It maybe me but I am feeling overwelmed with things like # 10 wire (I have no idea) The...

Wiring 220 with 110 line. [ 13 Answers ]

I am wiring 220 baseboard heaters using 110 line. The wire is 10-2 and was run before we purchased the house. Each heater has its own line to the main electrical box downstairs. As I was instructed I connected the black and white wire to the breaker copper wire to ground bar. At the heater I...

Junction box on 220 volt line [ 1 Answers ]

What are the stipulations in running a 220 line through a junction box to a 220 plug in for an electric stove? Thanks

Electric baseboard heaters -wiring 1 thermostat to two heaters [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to heat my new garage with electric baseboard heaters. The new garage is 20X24 feet. I would like to use only one 240V #12 2 wire circuit running two heaters at a total of 3800 watts. I plan to use 2 pole 20A breakers and 2c #12 wire. I would like to have both heaters controlled...

Wiring 220 baseboard heaters newbie [ 2 Answers ]

Hi . I am having probles setting up 2 baseboard heaters in my living room. I have the two of heaters connected and both wires going back to a thermostat box. Any help with how to connect the two heaters to a thermostat. I have a thermostat with a L1 and a t1 marked on them. I took it as L1 to main...

View more questions Search