Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    singlemamma Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Oct 5, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Can I use peroxide to clean out excess ear wax?
    I somewhat remember my mom doing this when we were kids, I think.

I have major wax buildup and it is really bothering me, and hindering some hearing. Not to mention that I am constantly popping them right now because they feel "blocked" some. They are also very itchy. I suspect I'm coming down with a cold because they feel drainy (you know that feeling in your ears when you have a cold) and my throat tickles.

Anyway it is obvious I have too much wax as it is clumpy (I know ewww). Can I clean them out with peroxide? I think if I use a q-tip I'll just push it in there further there is so much.

I have no health insurance and just to walk into the cheapest clinic around is $75 without any tests or rx's or anything. I have no money and no one will take payments of any kind I've called around. I really need a home remedy until I get some health insurance of some kind.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Yes hydrogen peroxide can be safely used to "dissolve" the ear wax. You just lay on your side and drip in a few drops (use an eye dropper or I wet a q-tip with hydrogen peroxide and let it drip into my ear) allow it to sit for a few minutes and turn your head.

There is also a new product that I just saw a commercial for that has a reverse sprayer on it (I think Murad makes it) that you squirt it into your ear and solution doesn't push inside your ear it sprays out while dissolving wax. That might be another option because I know when I have a lot of wax and use hydrogen peroxide it sometimes does more bad then good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ear popped and now I can't hear out of my ear at all [ 7 Answers ]

I was wresteling with my kids and husband and we fell to the ground and I popped my ear pretty good and it started hurting went to the beach and got some salt water in my left ear and it was pretty excruating I had to get out of the ocean I went to sleep and when I woke up I couldn't hear out of my...

Uneven Ear Pressure and Voice Echo in Left Ear [ 45 Answers ]

Hello, I have some kind of ear condition that I'm seeking answers for. I have to constantly sniff throughout the day to equalize the pressure in my ears. The left ear seems too "open" for lack of a better word and when I sniff it corrects the pressure temporarily. The condition also causes an...

9 Yr Old Female Westie w/copious brown ear wax [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Westie with an ear full of brownish wax. We've used R-7 ear cleaner and naural drying ear creme with no results. She doesn't scratch her ear or pay any attention to it other than shaking her head after cleaning her ear. She's eating well, drinking, no fever, and never indicates even when...

Dog ear wax color [ 4 Answers ]

My lab has just gotten over an ear infection ( been over two weeks). I cleaned his ears with a Q tip just as labman mentioned in a previous post and noticed the wax color was reddish-brown Is this normal color or due to the infection? He had a lot of build up and I don't know if I got it all...

To wax or not to wax? [ 8 Answers ]

I did a test and its positive. I am dreading my first doctors visit because theey have to examine my vagina (right? ) and I was wondering do doctors expect it to be all neat and hair free down there when their examining u, for the first time or throughout your pregnancy? Did you guys wax or not...

View more questions Search