Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elivant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Dog Fights
    I have a Boxer mix that probably has some Pit Bull in it. He was a stray and I adopted him around 2 months ago and he is probably around 2 years old. He has met children 2-6 years old and we have a cat in the house and he has shown no aggression. He is nervous around men at first when they enter the house but warms up to them quickly and is very affectionate with people. He is fixed.

I've been bringing him to a local off-leash area and he plays very well with the other dogs and shows no aggression toward dogs-rarely even barks. Recently there were a couple very bad fights between other dogs (both times pit bull mixes that shouldn't be in a leash free zone). When the fights start my dog will jump at the nearest human and bark at them aggressively. It's the only time I've seen him show any type of aggressive behavior (he does want to chase squirrels and rabbits but I'm not sure if that is considered aggression).

I spoke with a friend who is a Vet and he says this is not that uncommon in some dogs and didn't think there was much you could do about it. I've stopped taking him to that park for the time being because these other aggressive dogs/irresponsible owners are putting mine in a bad situation. I was just wondering if anyone had any similar experience and if they had any thoughts.
    Attached Images

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2007, 10:04 AM
    I don't see a problem. Too bad the others are causing trouble. I hope the dog park clears up the problem and you can go back soon. In the mean time, work on your leadership with him. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

Thank you for giving him a home. We need millions more of you.
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Oct 1, 2007, 10:19 AM
    He is a gorgeous dog. It's really is a shame that there are people out there that are irresponsible enough to bring their aggressive dogs to public dog parks like that. More than likely it is just that type of situation that makes him nervous as it doesn't sound like he is aggressive normally. Labmans advice on leadership will help to control his behavior in less than ideal situations like that should they arise. Otherwise, I think you're a wonderful person to give him a good home, and he seems like a sweetheart. The picture with the cat is so cute. If he's fine with the cat then I'll bet the squirrel and rabbit chasing is out of pure excitement:)
    maddie63 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Well this is quite a problem for your dog and you make sure the dog knows who's boss or else he will push you around like your not leading him and other dogs will attack him and he will do so

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hope to help dog cope with loss of second dog? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in St. Louis MO and have had 2 dogs, Brandie and Alix, for 11 years. I brought them home about 1 week apart from each other, so they have been together for 11 years. They were very close. Alix was very close to Brandie. She would only go outside if Brandie went out. Would only...

Kitten fights [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 4 and a half month old female kitten and last week brought home an 8 week old male kitten for a playmate. At first the older kitten was hissing and very upset but that stopped after the first couple of days. When we leave them together now they begin to 'play fight' but if left for more...

Unhappy or homeless or fights [ 4 Answers ]

So, I have a problem. I am a 19 year old girl who is attending college while suffering at home. I will give the background history. I am a volleyball player of over 10 years. Varsity all 4 years in high school, college last year. Well, I always played because my older sisters did, my...

When should I feed my dog adult dog food? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a chocolat lab that just turned 1, and I'm wondering when do I stop feeding her puppy food? Omar

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

View more questions Search