Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michdem12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2007, 01:53 AM
    Kitten fights
    We have a 4 and a half month old female kitten and last week brought home an 8 week old male kitten for a playmate.
    At first the older kitten was hissing and very upset but that stopped after the first couple of days. When we leave them together now they begin to 'play fight' but if left for more than a few minutes it starts to turn really rough. The older kitten pounces on the younger one and bites him and he starts crying out. We are scared to get angry at the older kitten because we think it might make matters worse. We've been told that they just need time and they will learn to get along but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Its more like the longer we leave them together the worse it becomes. Also my older kitten has stopped eating.
    Anyone had a similar problem and know what's best to do?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 05:51 AM
    First off... cats play rough. Really rough. So what you are seeing may be nothing more than play. Are they hissing, spitting, growling, and making other noises? Are their ears flat against their heads? Are the fights slow with lots of posturing or really fast attacks? All of those are signs of aggression as opposed to play.

Just as an example, I had two kittens about the same ages as your two, and the older one had the younger one pinned down, viciously biting her belly while the little one clawed madly at the older one's head, squalling piteously. I was about to break them up when the little one suddenly noticed that the there was a ball within reach above her head, and she stopped attacking the older cat in favor of batting at the ball! All while the older one was still "attacking" her. That's when I realized that this looked a lot worse to me than it was to them.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 04:24 PM
    This is a pretty detailed description of cat communication, which may help you figure out if you have an issue with your two, or if they are just playing.

CAT COMMUNICATION

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New kitten [ 10 Answers ]

I'm getting a new kitten, I don't have any other cays but I do have to dogs, I was wondering if I should get a girl, or boy kitten. Im not going ot get it neutered, and its not going to bew aloud outside. I want it to be calm and socialanble which gender of cat is more like this?

Unhappy or homeless or fights [ 4 Answers ]

So, I have a problem. I am a 19 year old girl who is attending college while suffering at home. I will give the background history. I am a volleyball player of over 10 years. Varsity all 4 years in high school, college last year. Well, I always played because my older sisters did, my...

New Kitten [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to get a new kitten, but I am worried about our space. I live upstairs at my house and I was wondering if you had any ideas how to keep my kitten from attempting to climb down the stairs outside my door.

Kitten help [ 2 Answers ]

Kittens in dire need of help!! Hello all,I am a first timer to this page.So I wasn't sure what catergory to put this under.I am a foster mommy to a beautiful cat who just recently had kittens last month.Before hand I didn't have fleas in my house and now I do,and they are on my kittens and I am...

My Kitten [ 2 Answers ]

My kitten got out during her very first heat(Ithink it was Septhember), now last night she was lying on my bed and her belly was moving all over, so I am sure she has kittens, how do I know when she is ready to give brth? Thank you

View more questions Search