Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kprirish Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 07:04 PM
    GFI Outlet
    I recently did some extra wiring in my backyard. I tapped into the existing electrical outlet attached to my house. That outlet is hooked to a 120V GFI outlet located in my garage. Also on the same circuit are the electrical outlets to all my bathrooms. The power was working fine after I finished the wiring, but then the GFI popped. I reset the GFI and it worked for a day, but then popped again. Now I can not reset the outlet. I press the reset button in, and it immediately pops out.

My questions:
    1) Could I have put too much of a load on that GFI outlet in my garage? I added one line when I did my wiring, and currently do not have anything attached to the end of the new line (no outlet or lighting). It is covered and sealed, so it did not get wet either.

2) Can I upgrade that GFI outlet in my garage to a 240V GFI? If I do that, will that eliminate my problem?

Thanks for ideas and answers.

Kevin
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Sep 26, 2007, 11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kprirish
    I recently did some extra wiring in my backyard. I tapped into the existing electrical outlet attached to my house. That outlet is hooked to a 120V GFI outlet located in my garage. Also on the same circuit are the electrical outlets to all my bathrooms. The power was working fine after I finished the wiring, but then the GFI popped. I reset the GFI and it worked for a day, but then popped again. Now I can not reset the outlet. I press the reset button in, and it immediately pops out.

My questions:
    1) Could I have put to much of a load on that GFI outlet in my garage? I added one line when I did my wiring, and currently do not have anything attached to the end of the new line (no outlet or lighting). It is covered and sealed, so it did not get wet either.

2) Can I upgrade that GFI outlet in my garage to a 240V GFI? If I do that, will that eliminate my problem?

Kevin
    What Load! You said you did not add anything to the new wire from the Garage GFCI. (Sorry to hear that the bath is on the same circuit. By today's standards that's a code violation. Also, It would be best to dedicate the backyard branch, so you can avoid any future tripping--due to the fact that the garage and bath are all on one circuit.)

Check the wiring connection at the GFCI, and make sure all your wire terminations are correct (Power-in to line side. Newly added wire to load side of the GFCI). If all is correct, undue the newly added wire, and reset the GFCI. If it resets, give it some time and see if it trips in the same amount time of its last trip. If it doesn't trip, then you have a problem somewhere on the new wire: Neutral or hot to earth or ground. If it does trip, then this tells you that the wire added is not the cause--which means you will have to start checking all dead outlets (outlets with no power). Check everything that's not working on that circuit. [Also note that tripping can be caused by defective items plugged into outlets related to the dead circuit. Unplug these items, then plug them back in one at a time, and see if it trips the GFCI. Lastly, it could be a defective GFCI.]

This is a troubleshooting task, so it takes time.

If missed anything, it's because I'm 1/2 sleep :)

No 240v GFCI needed.

What are you planning for the new wire?

Get back to us on your results!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 07:43 PM
    In addition to above. If you remove hot and neutral from load side, and if GFI now works, it is new wiring, If not, likely bad GFI.
    Then try white by itself, then add black(or hot wire).
    With GFI's, any loads need to be hot and neutral on line side OR load side.

Oct 3, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kprirish

My questions:
    1) Could I have put to much of a load on that GFI outlet in my garage? I added one line when I did my wiring, and currently do not have anything attached to the end of the new line (no outlet or lighting). It is covered and sealed, so it did not get wet either.

Kevin
    ... the saga continues...

I was out of town for a couple of days, and when I returned, I tried re-setting the GFI in the garage. I did not touch the wires in the new electrical outlet. It worked this time, and has not "popped out" after four days. Any insight on what my problem could be?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2007, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Washington1
    What Load! You said you did not add anything to the new wire from the Garage GFCI. (Sorry to hear that the bath is on the same circuit. By today’s standards that's a code violation. Also, It would be best to dedicate the backyard branch, so you can avoid any future tripping--due to the fact that the garage and bath are all on one circuit.)

Check the wiring connection at the GFCI, and make sure all your wire terminations are correct (Power-in to line side. Newly added wire to load side of the GFCI). If all is correct, undue the newly added wire, and reset the GFCI. If it resets, give it some time and see if it trips in the same amount time of its last trip. If it doesn't trip, then you have a problem somewhere on the new wire: Neutral or hot to earth or ground. If it does trip, then this tells you that the wire added is not the cause--which means you will have to start checking all dead outlets (outlets with no power). Check everything that’s not working on that circuit. [Also note that tripping can be caused by defective items plugged into outlets related to the dead circuit. Unplug these items, then plug them back in one at a time, and see if it trips the GFCI. Lastly, it could be a defective GFCI.]

This is a troubleshooting task, so it takes time.

If missed anything, it's because I'm 1/2 sleep :)

No 240v GFCI needed.

What are you planning for the new wire?

Get back to us on your results!
    Have you done what was suggested?

What is the length of the newly added cable?
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Oct 5, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Have you done what was suggested?

What is the length of the newly added cable?

Exactly! I didn't write all the above for nothing! Not mention I did it in my sleep! :D

Oct 5, 2007, 11:44 PM
    Sorry for the delay in response.

Regarding Washington1's remarks: Yes, I did what was suggested. I checked the wiring at the GFCI and my connection where I added the new wire. Everything is tied together with wire nuts and there are no loose connections. I did as recommended and un-did the new wire and reset the GFCI. It did not pop. After reconnecting the new wire, it is still working and has not "popped." It has been over a week.

I do not understand the term used "... new wire: Neutral or hot to earth or ground."

Regarding tkrussell remarks: I added about 50 feet of cable. I took the electricity, and buried it under a new concrete patio I had installed. I spliced the cable at about 35 feet (all wiring used was shielded and did not require running it through electrical PVC, but I did anyway and the box I used at the splice was a waterproof box) and sent it in two directions. My intention for using the wire is to run a pump and lighting for a waterfall I am going to build off one end, and the other end will be enclosed in a built in BBQ island I am going to build. So I intend on putting a receptacle at the end of both lines.

The GFCI is still working. I can not figure out what made it pop in the first place and then why it would not reset. I believe my electrical box that I tapped into from the house is watertight, the gaskets are in place. Should I go over the attachments with silicone to insure they are watertight?

From the given response, am I going to overload the circuit by running two additional outlets off the existing line?

Thanks again for your comments, I really appreciate the input.

Kevin

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfi outlet [ 6 Answers ]

I just moved into the house in May. I believe the gfi outlet was working when the inspector inspected our house, but it seemed soon after it stopped working. We tried to press the reset button just in case the test button was pressed and nothing happens (meaning it won't depress or anything). Just...

New in line GFI outlet [ 3 Answers ]

An electrician put in two new outlets in the basement that are wired together and go to a new breaker he put in the main panel. He use GFCI outlets for both boxes that are on the same line. I want to add one more outlet and come out from the second box in line that he installed and I will...

GFI Outlet has no power [ 7 Answers ]

I have no power on several room and have found out that the GFI outlet has no power, what is causing this problem? Thank you RC:confused:

GFI Outlet [ 1 Answers ]

Will a GFI outlet provide proper protection if it is installed in an existing 2-wire, 120 VAC electrical system?

GFI Outlet Trips [ 4 Answers ]

We have an exterior GFI outlet that started continually tripping and then quit altogether. We installed a new one but it also is tripping frequently. Anyone have any suggestions please.

View more questions Search