Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dfw23 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Levothyroxine- Use and stopping Use
    I'm trying to find out specific information regarding Levothyroxine.

When you take levothyroxine- it assists your thyroid in producing the right amount of thyroid hormones? Correct

So if you were to stop taking it, would your thyroid go back to producing the amount of hormone that it produced before the medication? Or does taking this medication destroy the ability to create the hormone so the body becomes completely dependent on the drug.

Are there any natural remedies in lieu of this synthetic drug?

Thoughts/experiences with Thyromine?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 26, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Levothyroxine increases the metabolic rate, controls the synthesis of proteins, increases cardiac output, blood flow to the kidneys, body temperature, blood volume, among a few others.

It is used in hypothyroidism, myxedema coma, thyroid hormone replacement, congenital hypothyroidism, thyrotoxosis, and some types of thyroid cancer.

This drug is not a cure, but it does control the symptoms. Treatment is lifelong.

It is advised not to stop this medication, nor change medications without strict monitoring by your health care provider.
    statictable Posts: 436, Reputation: 34

Oct 1, 2007, 12:40 PM
    The key is WHY are you on Levo. Most often for hypothyroidism and it simply provides your body with additional hormone your thyroid gland is not able to produce. If you have hypothyroidism you will need the added hormone provided by levothyroxine for life and if you stop taking the Levo. Your thyroid gland WILL over a period of several weeks begin to produce thyroid hormone but at a level which is less than normal; same as it provided prior to the diagnosis of hypothyroidism. The only known method for treating an under active thyroid gland is taking synthetic thyroid hormone such as Levothyroxine or desiccated thyroid gland which contains both T3 and T4. Desiccated pig thyroid was commonly used in the past but requires weeks of dosing before benefit and the synthetics require far less time and may be easier to regulate dose wise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stopping a Divorce [ 16 Answers ]

My wife left me 1 month ago. She filed for divorce and moved into an apartment in the same day. We have 2 children and have been married 12 years and together 17 years. She filed once before but we tried to work our problems out. However life happened and she lost her only sister to cancer, I was...

Stopping masturbation [ 12 Answers ]

I have this male friend who has really big issues with masturbating in that he is so much into it.He has approached me for help to stop it but I have no clue as to how to assist.Any tips on how to stop masturbating?? he is on the edge because of guilt...

Stopping garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

If you're on government aid, low income, single parent is there a way garnishment can be stopped?

Stopping a garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

Can a garnsihment be stopped once it has started? Or do I have to let it run its course?:confused:

Toilet Stopping Up [ 13 Answers ]

Ok, here goes. I have a 2 story home and the bathroom on the lower level continues to back up whenever I run the dishwasher or washing machine. All three here are on the lower level. I am on a septic system, which has been "sucked" out recently. The problem seems worse in the winter and when it...

View more questions Search