Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CARSBIKESHONDASETC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2007, 06:46 PM
    93 Del Sol cranks but doesn't start. With a twist
    Hello. Found lots of helpful info here, so joined to ask a specific question.

My 1993 Del Sol 1.6 Si Auto has 122K on it and always ran well. I washed it Sunday, moved it in the driveway, left it sit for 30 minutes, tried to move it again and it fired once and then died, never to restart. Engine will crank and crank, but no fire, even with starting fluid. Here is how far I have diagnosed:
    1) Key on, main relay clicks twice, CEL is on, Fuel Pump sounds, then CEL and Fuel punp go off after 2 seconds.
    2) Cracked return fuel line connection and confirmed fuel is present
    3) Replace cap & rotor (needed it) but also confirmed the ignitor (I think) by hooking a 12V test lamp to both coil inputs. Got bright light at key on and pulsation when cranking.
    4) Jumped OBD1 connector and CEL comes on and stays on. No flashing for code. I read this as a "0" = BAD ECU faliure.
    That is where I am on it. I feel I am at a fork in the road... replace coil or replace ECU? Any advice?

Also, regarding ECU, mine is a 37820-P28-A51. Do I need to replace with the same part number, or is there some flexibility, such as using an A50 unit (which I believe is 1992). I don't believe I would use an A01 (MT).

Any help would be appreciated.

(Sorry about the all cap name... that was not thinking... )
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 04:52 AM
    . Check all under-dash and under-hood fuses with a test light or multimeter. Here's how:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Perform all tests outlined in Sections A and B below, some of which you have already done:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-46563.html

Particularly, perform the K-Test on the ECM and check for spark. If it fails the K-Test, get the exact ECM (same part no.) you currently have .

If everything above checks out okay, focus on the distributor. Personally, I would replace the Ignition Control Module and coil, since you have over 120,000 miles on the car and it's over 10 years old. Bench testing these problematic items is of questionable utility. If you replace these two items and the problem persists, the likely cause is a bad distributor. The CKP, TDC, and CYL sensors go bad and they are not serviceable. I recommend buying a new Honda housing, since many on this site have had problems with new aftermarket distributors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda civic del sol won't start [ 37 Answers ]

My 93 Honda civic del sol had been sitting in my driveway for a couple of months. After I charged the battery, I started my Honda and let it run. It ran For 20 minutes with no problem. It then stalled, when I attempted to start it again, it wouldn't start. The engin turns over but it just won't...

93 honda del sol won't start [ 3 Answers ]

One day I was driving my car to the bank aprox 1 mile away and half way there my car wouldn't let the engine rev past 4000rpm ( the revlimiter is normally 7000rpm ) the car was just acking like it couldn't go and had no power. So I baby it to the bank. Once I come out of the bank the car won't...

95 honda del sol won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I was in a fender bender a few months back that broke the radiator. Before I knew the radiator was broken I drove it home, and while it was not in gear it would rev up and down on its own. On the way home the temp was really high but it never stalled or broke down.a few months later after replacing...

93 Honda Del Sol won't START.. =[ [ 1 Answers ]

I own a 1993 Honda del Sol Si, I have a little problem with the ignition, I put the key in, and it beeps to let me know that the door is open, but there is a problem.. I can't turn the key, at ALL.. it won't turn a bit.. it is very solid in the keyhole, I have shaken the wheel, I have put it in...

Crx del sol won't start? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have got 1992 del sol,the problem is started two days ago when I took it to shopping went back to my car headlights side signal everything working but the engine wanted start.so I tried jump starting still nothing.so I left my car at the car park and went back to my car yesterday and tried...

View more questions Search