Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duce432 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Bathroom exhaust fan
    I just replaced the bathroom exhaust fan motor assembly which is the fan motor, squirrel cage, and mounting plate. I did this because the fan is about 25 years old. The bathroom is only 36 square feet with 8 foot ceiling and the new fan motor is rated at 100 cfm. The thing is that the fan does not seem to be working any better with the new motor because the bathroom mirror is still steamed up after I take a shower. After replacing the fan motor I could feel air being forced down into the bathroom along the edge of the mounting plate for the fan. I put a piece of tissue up to the fan and the tissue stays on the fan cover plate. I donot understand why the bathroom mirror stays fogged up after a shower. It would seem that a 100cfm fan would be more tha enough to handle a 36 square foot bathroom. The exhaust fan is located in the ceiling right next to the shower stall. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did check the fan flapper and it seems not to be binding and opening when the fan motor is turned on.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 19, 2007, 03:59 PM
    I have the same situation and it doesn't bother me; I just wipe the mirror off. We have a window in our bathroom and the extra air should help but doesn't. So go figure and live with it. Why does it bother you ?
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Sep 19, 2007, 05:18 PM
    The fan is working, but you are making more cubic feet of steam than the fan can handle. Since the steam diffuses around the room, it all cannot all go up the vent instantly. What doesn't go up condenses on the mirror because the glass is colder than the moist air in front of it.
    <br><p>
    I bet you could install some sort of mirror heater, but my wife has the right idea. She uses the hairdryer to blow warm air against the glass before she uses it on her hair.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 02:50 AM
    Ahbplus, it wasn't intended to be a professional answer. There are some answers here, some opinions, some very professional answers. Mine was intended as an opinion.

ms. tickle
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 04:56 AM
    Duce432,
    Is the door to the bath open or closed? The fan can't remove any air from the bath unless other air can come into the room.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 1, 2008, 05:18 AM
    Harold's entirely correct. You must have air movement throughout the bathroom to remove the moisture. The moisture will be worse in the winter time as in warmer weather the AC will be on to pull the noisture out quicker.
    Hope this helps, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exhaust fan in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

I am wiring a new bath and would like to know if code requires an Exhaust fan in bathroom.

Bathroom Exhaust Fan Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to wire an exhaust fan to an bathroom light switch; how do I go about doing this project. The existing light switch is a single pole, and I assume I will need to install another double box for two (2) switches - one for the existing light and the other for the NEW exhaust fan. ...

Connecting bathroom exhaust fan [ 2 Answers ]

I presently have a switch in a bathroom with 3 14/2 cables coming into the switch box. The switch only controls a light for the medicine cabinet. All the whites are connected together. Two of the blacks with a pig tale are connected to the bottom screw of the switch. The other black is connected...

Installation of a Bathroom exhaust fan [ 6 Answers ]

My source of power is originating from a light fixture and then goes to a switch. I've pulled a cable from the switch box to a bathroom exhaust fan and wanted to find out how to go about wiring it up. What would normally be a neutral wire (white wire) in this case ends up being the live wire...

Attic venting of bathroom exhaust fan [ 4 Answers ]

Our bathroom has a ceiling light fixture whice I would like to replace with an exhaust fan. I understand the need to vent this out of the attic and to have the duct well insulated to avoid condensation. The problem is access to the outside. We have a roof with four sloping sides, no vertical ends....

View more questions Search