Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duce432 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Connecting bathroom exhaust fan
    I presently have a switch in a bathroom with 3 14/2 cables coming into the switch box. The switch only controls a light for the medicine cabinet. All the whites are connected together. Two of the blacks with a pig tale are connected to the bottom screw of the switch. The other black is connected to the top screw of the switch. When I turn the switch on, the light for the medicine cabinet goes on. I would like to add and wire a exhaust fan in the bathroom. The exhaust fan would be a fan only. I think I can do this in the following way. I would add a switch for the fan only. I would run a 14/2 cable from the fan to the new switch, and add the new white wire to the other white wires. Then connect a pig tale on the old switch (for power) and connect that to the bottom screw of the new switch. Then connect the black wire of the 14/2 to the top screw of the new switch. What I'm basically trying to do is connect to the hot black wire of the old switch and pig tale that hot wire into the new switch for power to the fan. Is this the right way to do this ?:confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 8, 2007, 07:35 PM
    I think that will work but wished you had used a better descriptor than "top screw." You need to tap the incoming hot wire prior to the cabinet switch. All whites do go together. Do you have a bare ground going to the fan? You need to ground this unit. I would also check to see if this circuit is on a GFI, if not install one. All bath and bedrooms need GFI or ARC faults.
    hdguy Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 04:52 AM
    Take a look at the double switches, i.e. 2 switches in the same space. Double switches use an outlet cover rather than a switch cover. Each switch occuppies the spot an outlet would and has a horizontal movement rather than a vertical. They are very useful in adding a switch without expanding the box, i.e. the hole in the wall. The decora line even has a triple switch.

Good luck,
    Jimmy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Share bathroom and kitchen exhaust vent [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to put in an exhaust vent for my bathroom in the basement. I have two questions. First, does the roughed in usually have the trap pre-installed for the shower under the floor? Second, Can I run the bathroom vent to the kitchen exhaust pipe and have it run to the outside. In...

Bathroom Exhaust fans [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure if this is really a plumbing question but it has to be close. If I am building a bathroom in my basement and I am only putting in a whirlpool tub will I still need an exhaust fan? If so do I just run a vent pipe from the exhaust fan straight out the side of my house?

Installation of a Bathroom exhaust fan [ 6 Answers ]

My source of power is originating from a light fixture and then goes to a switch. I've pulled a cable from the switch box to a bathroom exhaust fan and wanted to find out how to go about wiring it up. What would normally be a neutral wire (white wire) in this case ends up being the live wire...

Attic venting of bathroom exhaust fan [ 4 Answers ]

Our bathroom has a ceiling light fixture whice I would like to replace with an exhaust fan. I understand the need to vent this out of the attic and to have the duct well insulated to avoid condensation. The problem is access to the outside. We have a roof with four sloping sides, no vertical ends....

Venting bathroom exhaust into radon pipe [ 3 Answers ]

We are building a second floor bathroom over a first floor bathroom. We are draining (and venting) the fixtures into the vent for first floor fixtures (creating a wet stack, which I understand may not be to code, but will function properly?). Question: we will also have an exhaust fan over the...

View more questions Search