Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Moses Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 09:55 AM
    Plumbing pipe noises
    A hammering sound was occurring whenever a shower or sink were turned on or a toilet flushed. Also occurred when water entered the washing machine. The sound occurred consistently. Sometimes the hammering was extremely loud and accompanied by an equally loud groaning / deep sounding knocking or rumbling. Anti-hammering devices were put on the sinks, washing machine and toilets. The sound is no longer as consistent ( I could make it happen anytime I wanted before), but it is louder. The anti-hammering devices have apparently done nothing. A pressure valve at the front of the house was also replaced. The house is approximately 10 years old. A new bathroom was installed approximately one year ago. These noises started occurring around the end of April 2007. Obviously need them to stop. Need suggestions and ideas. Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 17, 2007, 10:00 AM
    "Water hammer" happens when you abruptly shut off the water. You have at least 40 pounds of pressure pushing the water flow. The weight of the water hitting a 90 degree bend causes the sound that you hear. We put in shock absorbers,(air chambers) to cushion the hammer much like the shocks on your car.
    Back in the 60's we were required to to put shock absorbers,(air chambers) on all bath lavatorys and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is important.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will begain to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them in a two bath home. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back.
    You have just recharged your air chambers and saved yourself a hefty service call bill. Hope this helps you out TOM
    Moses Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Looking for speedball1 (from Moses)
    Thanks for the answer on pipe noise problem. Understand that hammering can occur when water is shut off, but my noise occurs when water is turned on. Appreciate your advice on recharging -- that should eliminate the loud groaning bumping sound as well? Is that all part of the hammering issue? At its worst, it sound like a slow moving train rumbing through the house.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 17, 2007, 10:36 AM
    Operating air chambers will eliminate most pipe noises. Recharge yours and get back to me. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing/Pipe Fitting Calculations [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Project Engineer currently researching the feasibility of developing a specialty calculator focused specifically on the Plumbing/Pipe Fitting industry. I am looking for common calculations, or table look-ups that can be placed within a calculator for easy reference. Off the top, I could...

Plumbing noises [ 1 Answers ]

After most showering and toilet flushing, there is a loud hum/ vibration that comes from the water system. It sounds like an air lock or something. We have city sewer and water. Any ideas on how to get rid of this noise? Does it do any damage?

Plumbing supply pipe [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of pipes can I use to connect the hot water supply in my shower other than galvanized or copper? Thanks

Irritating Water Pipe Noises [ 5 Answers ]

I see that this topic has "sort of" been addressed in the past, but I'm hoping there may be some new readers with answers. About a Year ago, I noticed that I could hear the sound of running water when there was not water actually running in the house. It sounds as though someone is running...

Air Chamber Plumbing Pipe [ 8 Answers ]

We have had Water hammer happening at our house. While remodeling our bathroom, we discovered that the previous owners had drilled a hole in the plumbing air chamber pipe to run electrical wire to a new light they had installed!:eek: We have removed the electrical wire from the pipe. So our...

View more questions Search