Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leo Sparky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Plumbing supply pipe
    What kind of pipes can I use to connect the hot water supply in my shower other than galvanized or copper? Thanks
    babygirlgiz99 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Apr 26, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Sparky
    What kind of pipes can I use to connect the hot water supply in my shower other than galvanized or copper? Thanks
    Pvc/plastic
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 09:41 AM
    You can't use PVC, it won't take the heat. CPVC is almost as cheap and just as easy to work with. Look for the cream colored stuff next to the PVC. There is also PEX and I am seeing references to the polybutylene that I thought the lawyers ran off the market.

If you are retrofitting, you can transition from the copper to plastic with a Shark's Tooth fitting or a CPVC compression union. If you use the union, you need to secure the pipes so they can't slip out. Either avoids soldering a female pipe adapter onto the copper. Ball valves are more reliable for stops than gate or globe valves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stumped, shower base plumbing connection to pipe [ 3 Answers ]

My house was built by a bunch of @#$%&, so I'm always running into things that make no sense. Now I've come across something that I have no experience with and it has me a bit stumped. I removed my existing shower base. I had to cut around the drain since I was not sure how that attached to the...

Rust stain on cold water supply pipe [ 8 Answers ]

I am near the end of a kitchen renovation. Yesterday I was looking at some pictures taken at an earlier stage when I noticed a rust stain on the cold water pipe that supplies my kitchen sink (photo attached). I have since covered this pipe with drywall, but I'm wondering if it's worth cutting a...

Air Chamber Plumbing Pipe [ 8 Answers ]

We have had Water hammer happening at our house. While remodeling our bathroom, we discovered that the previous owners had drilled a hole in the plumbing air chamber pipe to run electrical wire to a new light they had installed!:eek: We have removed the electrical wire from the pipe. So our...

How to install a stand pipe using existing plumbing [ 6 Answers ]

I'd like to convert the plumbing from a small "grease sink" to a stand pipe for my washer. Is this possible? Is the pipe's diameter too small to accommodate the pressure from the discharge of water from the washer? What's the recommended diameter of the pipes for a stand pipe?

Plumbing: old drain pipe, supply lines, curb [ 3 Answers ]

I've completed the demolition of my old shower, but am puzzled now. I am on a slap foundation. My drain pipe is not centered, and it rises about 2 inches off the slab. It does not appear to have weep holes, and I cannot remove it. Is it necessary to have the weep holes, and does it need to be...

View more questions Search