Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chanelln Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2007, 04:30 PM
    House breaking my puppy.
    My 3 month old peekapoo puppy was doing so good with potty training, I have been using the puppy pads, and she would always go on them, and would only have occaisanal mistakes. However, over the past week or so she has had some behavior changes, she goes wherever she wants and has just been a little brat, biting and chewing everything! Before she would bite things and I would tell her a stern NO, and she would stop, now I tell her no and she thinks it's a game. Is this normal behavior? I was thinking that it may have to do with the fact that I started school and perhaps this is her way of acting out, because before I started school I was with her all day, I would even take her to work with me. I think I have spoiled her. It is just hard for me to tell her no and to leave her alone. WHat is a good way to discipline her when she does bad things?
    imxinxonxit Posts: 60, Reputation: 3

Sep 16, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Put her in a crate at night and take her out the first thing in the morning this way she will get the hint that outside is the potty
    She is a puppy so don't be so hard on her but be firm,take her out after she eats,plays and sleeps
    Get her on a schedule and remember accidents happen,crate her when not supervised or you will have a little present waiting!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2007, 09:29 PM
    Most dog trainers are moving to emphasizing praise for positive behavior. It sound like you need to give her better leadership.

The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete here are some more gentle ways to make sure she understands you are top dog:

''Elevation for small puppies: Sit on the floor and gently put your hands around your pup's middle, below his front legs, and lift him up. He is facing you. Hold him for 15 seconds. Repeat until he no longer struggles. If he is past 10-12 weeks, lift his front feet off the ground, but don't pick him up.

Cradling for small puppies: Hold your puppy gently on his back, as you would cradle a small baby. If he struggles, hold him firmly until he quiets for 10-15 seconds. With larger pups, you can do this as your sit on the floor, with your pup between your legs.

Quiet lying down: Place your pup on the floor on his side, with all 4 legs pointing away from you. Use your hands on his neck/shoulder area and middle, to hold him in this position. When he is quiet, praise him. Lengthen the time that you keep him quietly in this position. When he accepts this position well, handle his paws and muzzle, while keeping him quiet.''

The quotes mean this isn't my original work. It is copied from my Puppy Raising Manual. I have long used these or minor variations of them, and they are very effective. You may want to give him a belly rub while he is on his back too. Helps bonding. There is a big difference between him rolling over and demanding a belly rub, and you choosing a time to roll him over and rub his belly. The latter cements your place as pack leader.

There is other useful material at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    doggiegirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Just adopted a starved 1 year old. She will not go to the bathroom outside. What is the next step? Was told she was housebroken
    doggiegirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Just adopted a starved shelter dog about 1 year old. Was told she was housetrained, but now won't go to the bathroom outside. Any suggestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a leasing contract for an apartment in Texas to purchanse a new house [ 4 Answers ]

Do I have any other way to get out if I breach a contract agreement with the apartment, because I want to buy a new home, and the new home is a really good offer not to miss out? Could you let me know. Thanks

Breaking a house lease in California [ 2 Answers ]

We are the Landlord on a one year lease of a single family California home which ends in May 2008. Our tenants may need to move due to work/health issues early. If he vacates early, is he obligated to pay the rent in full for the term of the lease or such time I am able to find a new tenant? Can...

Breaking a lease to buy a new house [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to buy my first home in October, but my lease is not up until March 31st. Is there any legal way of getting out of the lease? I live in Texas if that makes a difference. Thank you.

Shihtzu house breaking [ 1 Answers ]

Any suggestions on house breaking a shihtzu puppy?

Breaking a Lease in order to Buy a House [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I are looking to buy a house, but our actual lease is not up for 3 more months. The lease states that in order to termiate it, we will have to pay one half of one months rent, plus all the rent for the three months until our lease is up. Two different people have told us that if we...

View more questions Search