Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dj16bit Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 08:54 PM
    89 Honda CRX repeats 4 blinks ecu- Heelp mee(txgreasemonkey)
    Hello there,
    My 89 CRX starts right up, but it won't rev past 2500-3000 RPM, it starts missing.
    Engine issue light stays on.
    4 blinks then a pause, then 4 blinks and it repeats that pattern in ECU.
    Cars runs very hot almost as if it's running lean, water temp is fine.
    If I hold the engine speed steady @ 1500RPM the tach bounces a bit.

I purchased a MSD Distributer cap so that I could use an external MSD coil, but haven't installed it yet. Could it be a bad coil? :rolleyes:

Thanks,
    dj16bit
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2007, 09:43 PM
    It appears the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) has gone, as indicated by a Code 4. This is not uncommon on Honda distributors with 80,000 miles or more on them. The CKP sensor is unserviceable; therefore, you need to replace the distributor housing. I recommend that you buy a genuine Honda housing and install your old Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil, after having them tested for free at AutoZone. Aftermarket distributors have proven very unreliable on this site. Have the ICM tested, because the bouncing tachometer rpm readings can be indicative of a bad control module. If the ICM has 120,000 miles on it, I would just replace it.

Here's how to replace the distributor housing:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post288473

Here's how to replace the ICM:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896
    b18greg Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 04:34 PM
    I'm having the same problem with the no blink ecu. Since you're a pro now I was wondering what fuse that was just in case I've missed it too. l've replaced everything you have plus the feul pump for good measure. Needing some help!! b18greg

Sep 23, 2007, 04:17 AM
    Before replacing the fuel pump did you test to make sure you are receiving 12v. With ignition on? If not it could be a bad main relay.
    If you replaced the ecu and still no blinks then your ecu is not getting power. It could be a fuse, wiring issue or a bad main relay. I can't remember the fuse.

Sep 23, 2007, 04:31 AM
    Thanks again Txgreasemonkey, I purchased a rebuilt distributer and my issue is resolved.
    The old distributer has play, the bearings in the botom part of the housing must of went bad.

It's not allowing me to rate you, but thanks again.
    dvon_6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2012, 02:11 PM
    Well I've had my car converted to mpfi from dpfi about a year now with a brand new zc non vtec, passed smog second day after I got it runnning. Also had no check engine on the start up. So now I've swapped my motor to b20vtec, well I started it up and it seem like it ran fine, but then when I unplugged the distributor jumper and plugged it back in, its now throwing crank position sensor. Now its in limp mode and revs up really slow to no more than 3200 rpms. I've checked my wiring and made sure nothing is out of place. I'm using a complete ry-wire.com conversion harness which contains obd0 to obd1 ecu jumper, obd0 to obd1 distributor jumper and also a vtec sub-harness. I've got everything hooked up and I'm running a p28 ecu. There also was no wiring involved with the conversion harness at all, just plug in. Only code I'm throwing is the crank position sensor. Not sure what's going on, my thoughts are leaning towards the sensor went out, so I'll have to get another distributor? I can't think of anything else. Please help me out, thanks.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2012, 02:34 PM
    Installing a genuine Honda distributor housing should solve the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CRX no spark, fuel, or ecu power [ 6 Answers ]

so I got this 90 crx and it was running great... has 206k miles and was running strong. Went and replaced the clutch and driver side axle and afterwards started right up... just replaced battery plugs and wires also. Went to the buyers house to get 2 rims put on back so he could have his rims back...

89 honda CRX no spark/ no ecu blinks [ 5 Answers ]

I just purchased a 89 crx and the car would not start, fuel issue . I unpluged the harness and there was no power going to the fuel pump so I ran power to the fuel pump and I was able to start the car. I noticed that the fuel gauge was not working so I asumed that the extra two cables in the fuel...

89 honda hatchback, txgreasemonkey [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you txgreasemonkey, already replaced ignition switch, and main relay. Checked all fuses, half work, others don't seem to have any power to them although they are all OK. Gas pump does not seem to be getting power either. This is driving me nuts :-), any other suggestions?? Thanks skip.

1991 Honda Accord LX S blinks and speedometer doesn't work [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1991 Honda Accord LX. Recently I had bought a new alternator and last week I had an oil change. Today, my S light blinks and my speedometer stopped working. Will someone please tell me what to do about this problem? No Idea

Honda crx can you have spark with a bad ECU? [ 14 Answers ]

Honda crx can you have spark with a bad ECU?

View more questions Search