Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ek74 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Does the service entrance cable need to be changed after an upgrade
    Saturday night we had an electrical emergency, our main breaker in our 100 amp service panel blew, smoke pouring out melted breaker kind of blow. We replaced the entire service panel and upgraded to 200 amp since we were interested in doing the upgrade anyway and that seemed like a good time to do it. Does the service entrance cable need to be changed? How about the meter or cable going from the meter to the house? Do any authorities need to be called before hand?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Yes, the cable feeding the meter, the meter, and the wiring from the meter to the panel must be all rated 200 amp.

Almost every town, city, certainly state, has an inspection procedure, many times in addition to the utility company policy and procedure.

You can start by checking with town hall or the local utility company to learn what needs to be done and who needs to be involved.

What city and state are you located in?

Sep 10, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

I live in Elsinboro, NJ which is Salem county. I called my local electric company who referred me to the local electrical engineer, who then told me I wasn't supposed to be referred to them and told to ask an electrician. Nice huh. We do have an electrician but I just want to educate myself on this to make sure every thing is on the up and up. Not that I don't trust the guy, I just like to be informed.
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2007, 04:41 PM
    OK, well that is sometimes how it goes. Liability is the key. Plus the attitude of Jersey.

OK if you want to stay on top of your electrician, get back and ask what you need.Be sure he takes out permits, and has everything inspected, and ahds the proper licenses and insurances.

Sep 18, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Thanks for the advice! We actually had to call out a different electrician for an estimate. Turns out the one we were using didn't have insurance. That could have been a disaster, goes to show you can't always trust the people your friends refer.
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Excellent catch, good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Service entrance cable [ 23 Answers ]

I am re-wiring an old house. It is a small 2 bedroom, 1 bath house. We put in a 200 amp service and need to run a service entrance cable about 20 -25 ft to the inside breaker panel. My question is how big of a gauge wire should we run for the service entance cable. #? 3 conductor with ground in...

Service entrance cable [ 2 Answers ]

Having new 100amp meter installed professionally,but I am burying wire to the building which is 125' from where meter is mounted. Will I have to upsize the size of wire because of the distance? I also intend to enclose in conduit, so I'm not worried about using "U" coded wire

Entrance Cable [ 4 Answers ]

I am putting in a new electric service in my house and wanted to know what size wire I need for a 200 amp service

What is the cable/wire gauge (product name) for installing 200 Amp Service Entrance [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new service entrance to upgrade my home electrical service to 200 amps. 1 Please tell me what gage wire is required from the meter to the weather-head? The service panel with main breaker is inside the laundry room 25 feet from the outdoor meter loop. I will run the...

Entrance cable [ 4 Answers ]

How do I cover the electrical service entrance cable attached to the side of my house? What do I use? The original covering has worn out in spots, exposing wires beneath. Also is this something a dummy can do?

View more questions Search