Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garkal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Credit Card Court Trial
    I am in severe debt. About a year ago, I had to stop paying my credit card payments because I didn't want to stop paying my mortgage payments and I couldn't make both payments.

I have been getting collection agency calls for a while now. They have also contacted most of my family members. One credit card has summoned me. I have a trial in about a month and don't know what to do. There is absolutely no way I can pay any part of the debt right now. I currently make just enough to cover my mortgage and put a little food on the table.

Do you think they can still garnish my wages even though I am barely surviving?

Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 10, 2007, 12:42 PM
    If they obtain a judgement against you, then they can garnish your salary, up to 25% depending on where you live.

Looks to me like you need to explore bankruptcy and BEFORE the court hearing.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Sep 10, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Hello garkal

In order for a cc company to garnish your wages or attach your accounts is if they get a judgement against you.
    No the court or the cc company does not care if you are barely making it
    Do not ignore the summons that is the worst thing to do because if you ignore it they will get a default judgement
    If you are in serious debt with no way out try talking to a bankruptcy lawyer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card debt set for trial [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was served papers on an old credit card debt, he is on social security disability, he went to court for this and was given a trial date. What happens at this trial? We live in Illinois can any one tell me what to expect next, with it being set for trial. The credit card debt was not...

Credit card civil court [ 3 Answers ]

Collection agency has sent letter for a debt, but pursuant to WV code the statue of limitations has expired since last contact. Can the collecection agency coleect the debt with all late fees, over the limit fees and interest?

Summond to court for a past credit card [ 1 Answers ]

I got a paper in the mail last week saying I was summond to courte for a past credit card it is for 1,300 plus courte cost and fees.. I have no way of paying this I am laid if of work right now and only make 200.00 in unemployment every 2 weeks.. I live in Illinois I was just wondering what they...

Going to court for credit card [ 10 Answers ]

I have to go to court tomorrow because of a credit card that I was not sure belonged to me. I was there about three weeks ago and I told the lawyer for the credit card company that I was not sure that this was my debt. He postponed until tomorrow. What I want to know is, will I have to pay all...

Credit card debt, trial set [ 4 Answers ]

I went to court today ,citi bank is suing me for 12,000. My credit limit was only 5000. I have not been abel to pay in 5 years. I live in ky but I had to go to tn for court. The attorney said that they could sue my husband even though he was not on the card and his social was not used only my name...

View more questions Search