Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    totalwacko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Dog behavior
    We got a female German Shepherd about 2 months ago and we already have two male dogs (a Doberman mix and Lapso Apso). The male Doberman has been periodically urinating in the house, usually during the night even with a doggie door for outside. I know this is behavior, but how do we stop him? Help us
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2007, 07:50 PM
    Neuter him if not already. When you are around you need to keep a close eye on the dog. Use closed doors or gates to keep it in the same room as you are, and perhaps as I do, a short chain fastened to the computer desk. If you catch it in the act, give it a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!'' and take it out. When you can't watch it, crate it.

It is only natural that a dog resists its crate at first. What the dog
    Wants more than anything else is to be others, you, anyone else in the
    Household, and any other pets. In our modern society, even if we are home,
    Other things distract us from the attention an uncrated dog must have. The
    Only real solution is to crate the dog when you aren't around. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. Metal ones can be put
    In a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select
    A crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, may take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at
    Feeding time for more than one dog.

The "shut the puppy in a safe room" is a fallacy. Very few houses even have a
    Safe room. How many of us have a room with a hard surfaced floor and nothing
    Else? Most rooms have electrical cords to chew if nothing else. In addition
    To destroying anything a bored puppy finds to chew, it may choke or have
    Intestinal blockage from the pieces. I had a friend that left her dog in a
    "safe" room. It ate a hole in the floor covering. The safe rooms fail to
    Give the dog the comfort of the enclosed space their instinct requires. Nor
    Do they restrict activity extending the time the dog can go without relieving
    Itself.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Sep 10, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Crate Training is the way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog behavior [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old female Doxie who has been fixed. She is very possesive off me. I am considering getting another sml breed puppy and would like advise on what breed goes with a doxie and would she get along best with a male or female.

Behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir I want to know which of the followng is true and which is false about territorial behaviour in animals?please tell me why you say that and if it is possible give me an example too 1-it provides some protection from predators 2-increase intra-specific competition for food Thanks a lot

Dog barking when eating how to eliminate behavior [ 1 Answers ]

I have an eight month Cairn Terrior. The problem is whenever she eats she starts to bark. This has been very dangerous and her lips turned blue as she started choking on her food. I had to push it down with my finger. She has done this several times if she hears a noise. She does not bark...

Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

Florida, Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a court order behavior order for my 17 yr daughter. She is currently not living at home and I need her to be here so we can access her for drug addiction and possible marchment act.

ODD dog behavior [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Terrier lab mix... or mutt how ever you look at it. He has developed on behaviors. We often times go to socialize at a friends house who has a dog. They play and have a great time. He never spends the night there or anything. He is very happy while he there. But for the...

View more questions Search