Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mebuechel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Dog behavior
    I have a 1 year old female Doxie who has been fixed. She is very possesive off me.

I am considering getting another sml breed puppy and would like advise on what breed goes with a doxie and would she get along best with a male or female.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 12:00 PM
    No question about it, go with a male. A I mentioned in https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/m...ad-108234.html I have never seen any numbers, but problems are more common with 2 females than a male and female. That doesn't mean that trouble between 2 females is common.

Dogs vary so much within a breed, that I wouldn't think what other breed would make that much difference. What you don't want is 2 females with a high dominance drive.

You should work at giving the dog you have proper leadership before getting another dog. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

Thank you for being a responsible pet owner and spaying your pet. And thank for including that information in your question.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 01:28 PM
    I had a female pom/doxie mix for 1 year & she was 1 when I adopted her. I rescued a male chi/rat terrier mix that was a little over a year old. Within 2 weeks they were best buddies. Different energy drives the female is more cuddly and likes to snuggle and the male is always up for a game. I say get a male, neutered of course. Also one that would not want the same kind of attention that doxie one wants. http://www.akc.org/breeds/miscellaneous_class.cfmGo to akc. Breeds and read about their characteristics. My suggestion would be a male dog and one that is active that will encourage your doxie to play. This would be a great way to help ensure that the doxie doesn't get pudgie. Good luck and have fun picking out a new friend. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir I want to know which of the followng is true and which is false about territorial behaviour in animals?please tell me why you say that and if it is possible give me an example too 1-it provides some protection from predators 2-increase intra-specific competition for food Thanks a lot

Dog barking when eating how to eliminate behavior [ 1 Answers ]

I have an eight month Cairn Terrior. The problem is whenever she eats she starts to bark. This has been very dangerous and her lips turned blue as she started choking on her food. I had to push it down with my finger. She has done this several times if she hears a noise. She does not bark...

Submissive behavior? [ 3 Answers ]

Our puppy does something very strange that I think is a way of showing us that he is below us in the pack order, but I really don't see him ever doing such a thing in a real pack of dogs: If any of my family lies on the floor face up, he will come over to us and lay his neck over our mouths. Is...

Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

Florida, Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a court order behavior order for my 17 yr daughter. She is currently not living at home and I need her to be here so we can access her for drug addiction and possible marchment act.

ODD dog behavior [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Terrier lab mix... or mutt how ever you look at it. He has developed on behaviors. We often times go to socialize at a friends house who has a dog. They play and have a great time. He never spends the night there or anything. He is very happy while he there. But for the...

View more questions Search