Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    user2400 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 04:38 PM
    About Tax Refund
    Hello,

As a F1 Student on CPT, what is the Yearly Income limit beyond which I cannot claim tax refunds?

And what is the difference between standard deductions and itemized deductions?

Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 10, 2007, 08:30 AM
    There is NO Yearly Income limit. You can make $1 million dollars a year and still claim a refund on the amount you paid OVER your tax obligation.

The standard deduction is a set amount that all U.S. citizens and resident aliens can claim on their tax return. For 2007, it will be $5,300 for singles and $10,600 for married couples filing jointly.

The itemized deductions are a list of deductions that are listed (or itemized) on Schedule A. They include:

- Medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.
    - Certain taxes paid (state income taxes, real estate taxes, personal property taxes).
    - Mortgage interest paid on your primary and secondary home.
    - Donations to charity (both in cash and non-cash items).
    - Other miscellaneous deductions.

To claim itemized deductions, the total of the items noted above must EXCEED the standard deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax refund for F-1 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am F-1 student and trying to file federal tax for the fifth year. This year an email was sent by one Mr. Tony Patel to all the Indian students in our university promising that we would get all the withheld amount back + $30!! Is this a genuine case? If I file by myself I would be getting...

OPT to H1B Tax filing-SS tax refund? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. Arrived in US in Aug 2003, on OPT from Jan 2006 and on H1B from October 1st 2006. I started working in Feb 2006 in California. Throughout the year in 2006 Social security , medicare and disability taxes were deducted from my paycheck. Will I get a refund for these...

Tax Refund [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I want to get married and he owes back child support. How do we go about filing our taxes since I usually get money back every year. Do they have the right to pull my tax refund if we are married? Or should I file separately until he doesn' t owe any more money

How does the US/India tax treaty affect the state tax refund? [ 3 Answers ]

The people who make International Student Taxes have put a special resource page for Indians. International Student Taxes | Resources | Students from India I am stuck on a point in this page. To quote: "2. If you took the standard deduction last year, do not put anything on Line 4 of...

Tax refund. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... I live in chile, and I went to New York this January, I bought a laptop and they charge me US$150 of taxes... as a non resident I heard there's a way to get the taxes back... How can I do it? bubi

View more questions Search