Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GMorrison Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 08:10 PM
    220V electrical wiring
    I am replacing my built-in oven & upon removing the old one, I discovered that it was connected to a 2-lead (+ ground) wire. They had the neutral lead & the ground from the oven connected to the ground lead from the service panel. They used the black & white leads for the two "hot" leads. There is a 220v breaker for this circuit. This oven was installed nearly 30 years ago but I suspect that this would not meet current code requirements.

Do I need to run a new 3-lead (+ ground) from the service panel to the oven or can I hook it up the way the old one was?

G. Morrison
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2007, 09:00 PM
    GO TO your Local power co. and talk to one of the eng. And they will give you what the local electrical codes are for this also check the instructions that came with the new unit ,the wireing diagrame . I can tell you that in this state, you could not use the existing wireing. Also I believe that the instructions will say alarger wire is req.yopu may need to get a permit, and have a licensed electrician to do the work: Most home fires are caused by electrictrical. Please stay SAFE: Have a good day
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 04:02 AM
    The National Electric Code 2005 Section 250.140 Exception allows existing 3 wire feeders to use both the neutral and equipoment groiund to be one wire and ground the frame of the appliance.

Local codes may require a 3 wire feeder to be repalced with a new 4 wire with separate neutral and ground.

Bset to check with your local code enforecemtn office to be sure.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 04:22 AM
    If the new oven has a light and maybe a timer using 115 volts, you will have to run a new 3 conductor with ground. If the instructions don't specify a wire and breaker size, post the wattage here and tkrussell will give you an answer that your local inspector, if any, will like. If you follow his insurrections, there is no reason you can't do a safe, code compliant job. Even if your local code is slack, you still want to follow safe practices.

If you have unfinished area between your breaker box and the interior wall next to the oven, running new wire shouldn't be too bad. Otherwise, you may as well chop up the dry wall yourself or tack up tacky surface mount wiring.
    ampower Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2011, 12:09 PM
    I have a German Wash machine which is for 220 volts @50hz. Can I hook this machine here in North America?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a 220 volt clothes dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how I wire in a 220 volt clothes dryer. Thank you

220v range wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a slide in range with cooktop. I am putting in where old cooktop was. I only have 3 wires, 1 balck, 1 white, 1 ground. The only range outlet I could find was a four prong. I thought black was hot and white was neutral and then of course you have the ground. I am finding out now I am...

Splicing 220V wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I need to run a dedicated 220V line to a new Advantium microwave oven in a kitchen remodel. I have an existing 220V line that went to an electric cooktop that was replaced with a gas cooktop. Can I splice into the existing 220V line that did run to the old cooktop and extend that line in the...

Complete apartment electrical conversion from 220V to 110V [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering taking all 50 of my electronic and electrical gadgets and appliances with me to Europe. I looked into buying adapters, but instead I was wandering what it would take to convert the whole apartment to 110V. I could then grab the breakers and plugs from here before leaving. Also...

220v wiring. [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I am wiring a vacuum pump for a vacuum-form table to a 220v. 3 wires coming of the wall - black and red (I assumed are hot) and white (neutral). I also have a vacuum switch (installed between the pump and the tank) and a main switch (to turn the table on and off). The pump wiring...

View more questions Search