Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sesame Park Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Do I HAVE to Dig and Bypass my Grease Trap?
    Our brick ranch house in the Denver area was built in 1952, and until recently we never knew it had a grease trap. The kitchen sink started running slow and our drain cleaning guy said the grease trap was near full and the best thing to do would be to locate it, (probably just outside the house in the perennial bed, possibly under the front walk) dig down, (through sprinkler lines, etc) and re-route the plumbing to bypass the trap, for a total cost of around $1200 - $1800 and a lot of trouble to repair the damage to landscaping, etc. In case it's relevant, the kitchen drain line goes straight out the front of the house, through the trap (we were told) then connects with the main line before it dumps into the main sewer line in the street.

1. Is it too late to use bacteriological products to digest the grease/sludge or whatever is in there? We would stop using automatic dishwasher soap with bleach and continue to minimize stuff put into the garbage disposal.

2. Are we wasting our time trying this because the grease, etc, already in the trap has solidified over the years and will never break down? If we keep introducing bacteria, will it likely chip away at this buildup until we no longer have a problem?

3. Are we better off just to bite the bullet and go through the hassle and expense of digging up the front yard?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesame Park
    Our brick ranch house in the Denver area was built in 1952, and until recently we never knew it had a grease trap. The kitchen sink started running slow and our drain cleaning guy said the grease trap was near full and the best thing to do would be to locate it, (probably just outside the house in the perennial bed, possibly under the front walk) dig down, (through sprinkler lines, etc) and re-route the plumbing to bypass the trap, for a total cost of around $1200 - $1800 and a lot of trouble to repair the damage to landscaping. In case it's relevant, the kitchen drain line goes straight out the front of the house, through the trap (we were told) then connects with the main line before it dumps into the main sewer line in the street.

1. Is it too late to use bacteriological products to digest the grease/sludge or whatever is in there? We would stop using automatic dishwasher soap with bleach and continue to minimize stuff put into the garbage disposal.

2. Are we wasting our time trying this because the grease, etc, already in the trap has solidified over the years and will never break down? If we keep introducing bacteria, will it likely chip away at this buildup until we no longer have a problem?

3. Are we better off just to bite the bullet and go through the hassle and expense of digging up the front yard?
    I'm a strong proponent of getting a second opinion.

Frankly, I'm stumped as to why you would need a grease trap in a residential application.

Get a second opinion and make no mention whatsoever of the first Plumbers diagnosis, opinion and solution.

If the diagnosis is the same, check with your local authority to determine if a grease trap is still required -- If it isn't, re-route the drain to bypass the lard trap and fuggedaboutit.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 3, 2007, 06:35 PM
    "Frankly, I'm stumped as to why you would need a grease trap in a residential application"
    My home was built in 1954 and originally had a septic tank. The kitchen sink and washer drains were combined and ran to a grease trap going into the septic tank. The reason for this was the grease and fiber got out into the drainfield and clogged up the holes in the lines. Grease traps were mandatory back then. We used to open them up and clean them out every so often.
    Bottom line? If you still have a septic tank then I would clean it up and use it. If you've converted to city sewer, as you say, take Growlers advice and bypass the grease trap and "fuggedaboutit." good luck, Tom
    aquamundus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2013, 03:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler View Post
    I'm a strong proponent of getting a second opinion.

Frankly, I'm stumped as to why you would need a grease trap in a residential application.

Get a second opinion and make no mention whatsoever of the first Plumbers diagnosis, opinion and solution.

If the diagnosis is the same, check with your local authority to determine if a grease trap is still required -- If it isn't, re-route the drain to bypass the lard trap and fuggedaboutit.
    I am also the strong supporter of the second opinion as u.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2013, 08:53 AM
    +
    If you are in the city. You do not need a grease trap. However, if you're on a septic tank. We always install a grease trap on both the kitchen and the laundry drain lines. . This is done so lint and garbage don't clog up the drain field. All septic systems should be installed with a grease trap. And now you know the reason. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil,or grease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a funny smell in my livingroom an dinningroom. I live in a 2nd an 3rd floor apartment.it kind of smells like oil or grease?I have gas heat its nothing to do with that. We can not figure out were its coming from it has been about 2 weeks now an its still there.any thoughts on this? People...

Replace P-trap with drum trap--good idea? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a large crack in a cast iron waste line. The line at that point serves just the kitchen sink and is vented to the roof. The first plumber I called wants to disconnect the P-trap, install a drum trap, drill through the cabinet and floor, and connect to the waste line down below the crack....

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

Dig Cam Downloading Error [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I am new to this site... and I need help! (PLEASE) Here is my issue: I attempted to download images from my dig cam the other day... the PC no longer recongises it. Driver has disappeared. Tried to install it from the Sony cd rom given to me with the cam. Does it, but PC still doesn't...

View more questions Search