Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cadmanca Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Replace relay on Carrier Weathrmaker 8000
    Have a carrier weathermaker 8000. Fan will not shut off even when I tunr the switch off. It still blows cool ait when set to Cool and hot air when set to heat. If I turn switch to off it still blows air. I think it could be relay or thermostat. Trying to locate both of those items in unit. Please help. Thanks in advance.:(
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Remove the red wire from the thermostat. If is shuts down then, the thermostat is bad

Sep 1, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Stupid question. Trying to find manual on-line. What does the TSAT look like? I see (2) red wires going to a small reddish circuit board
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Not stupid. The thermostat tis the control on the wall that select the tempature and heat or cool. You can find onlone manuel for the thermostat at the sticky at the top of the heating & colling page here on this forum. A diagram should be posted on the inside of the panel of you furnace

Sep 1, 2007, 01:40 PM
    Took faceplate off wall thermostat and removed red wire. Unit stayed on. Odd thing though if thermostat isn't bad why is it reading 84 degrees inside when I know it isn't 84?
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Sound like the relay has stuck close as to why the fan is continuiously on. You can carefully tap it with the handle of a screwdriver. Sometimes this will release the contacts but I would replace as a permanent fis
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Check the status light on the circuit board-should be visible through a clear viewer hole. If it is flashing look at the service label on front panel.

Sep 1, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Didn't see any ststus lights on the circuit board. I am trying to fond what the relay might look like. Where should I be looking.

In your opinion would you say there is nothing wrong with the TSTA? Thanks.
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 02:57 PM
    The relay would be a small box like. Looks like it plugs into the board Look on the inside of the panel. Should be a diagram showing where it is.

Sep 1, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Seem to have found 2 relays. One for the blower, which is where I believe the problem to be (blower not shutting off). The othe is a Hi/Lo Blower Relay. Not sure what that is. This is what the diagram said inside face of the panel.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Hi/Lo selects the blower speed. The one labeled blower is likely bad.

Sep 1, 2007, 09:38 PM
    I am having a bit of difficulty removing the relay. Does it simply pull off the circuit board (ie like a plug from a receptacle)? I appreciate all your help. I do believe I am a heck of lot closer to solving this than before I started.
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2007, 10:00 PM
    In all likelinees, it's soldered to the board and the control board is the replaceable part.
    I'm not saying, it can't be replaced as a separate part, but unsoldering/soldering is a skill.

What's the make and model of the relay?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Does sound like contacts may be fused, tapping like above may separate contacts. Follow wires from blower motor to relay, that should be Hi/Lo relay. Relay feeding that should be blower relay. If board replacement Excessive, and comfortable with soldering and replacement relay not easily found, You could unsolder relay, solder wires to where relay was, and connect to new relay or contactor, Usually 24 volt ac coil.
    Being on a board the coil could be about any voltage, should say on side of relay.

Sep 2, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Relay manufacturer: Potter & Brumfiedl, Relay for Blower #T91R1D22-24-01, 30A 240VAC. Has uppercase C next to a small picture (symbol for a relay)on it and there is another set of numbers: 91-34. Where would I find parts? I probably would have to order, right?

Sep 2, 2007, 09:40 AM
    You gentlemen mentioned tapping. Exactly what does that entail? Just hittinng the contact lightly with the screwdriver? I see what look like to be 3 recessed holes on the really. (1) goes east-west and is labeled COM. Then there are (2) more recessed holes going North South next to each other labeld NO and NC. The NC appears to be missing the contact. It appears as if the metal part of the NC contact is flush with th bottom of the hole of the relay. Could this be the problem or was it probably always like this?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Yes, physically tapping on relay body. Use insulated or keep isolated from other electrical connections to avoid shorting. If you are able to remove relay, measure continuity between common and Normally Open. Missing Normally closed contact may be intentional to cut cost, as it is not needed. There should be 2 more connections for the relay coil.
    The 30 Amp/240 Volt is probably the contact rating. Coil is probably less.
    If removing relay stops blower then either contacts may be fused or coil voltage present
    At relay. Good Luck
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Looks like that relay has been discontinued, probably because of the ROHS (Reduction of Hazardous substances) hoopla. Look here and see if something might substitute.

Potter & Brumfield Relays - Datasheets - Tyco Electronics

NO - means Normally Open
    NC - Means normally closed
    C - Means Common or the common contact

"Normally" means without power to the coil

The NC contact would not be used in this application.

This is, in effect, a definite purpose contactor. The contact rating (30A), the contact voltage rating, and coil voltage (likely 24 VAC). If you can't find the same footprint, any number of replacements should be available if your willing to move it off the board.

Electronic Components Distributor | Newark sell P&B relays, now manutactured by tyco/tyco electronics

The R8229A1021

Here:

United Refrigeration, Inc.

Would likely work.

The relay is held open with a spring, when the coil voltage is present, the armature moves toward the other contact. The contacts occasionally "weld" together over time. Tapping, separating and sometime burnishing (lightly sanding) the contacts will restore operation for a short time.

Sep 4, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Thank you Stratmando and KeepItSimpleStupid but now I feel as if I have reached an impasse. You have been most helpful. I feel a bit helpless at the moment. You have both made me realize with 99% certainty that it is the relay for the blower that is the cause of my problem. My problem now is the fix is beyond my echelon of knowledge, meaning I will have to call a repairman. Of course this was what I was hoping to avoid. Thanks agqain and take care.

Sep 4, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Well gentlemen, the tapping has worked! The AC unit is turning On/off as it is designed to. Thank you for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier weather maker 8000 [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and would like your help. I have a Carrier Weather Maker 8000 and I am having problems with it. Its keeps shutting off before it reaches the desired temperature . I made a couple of clips that I hoped would explain the problem better. The Start:...

Carrier Weathermaker 8000 [ 4 Answers ]

I've had my carrier a/c heat unit for about 10 years.. . Good service, but it has recently been making a sqeaking/chirping/screeching sound when the fan is running in a/c mode. I reminds me of the sound a car makes when the fan belt is slipping. Any suggestions? Thanks, lankford3

Carrier weather mate 8000 [ 1 Answers ]

My AC fan has slowed to almost no air movement at all The filter is clean and the compresser is working great,(cold air just barely comes out of the vents. Is this a blower an issue? What is the cost of a replecaement? Thanks

Carrier HVAC 8000 [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to maintain an HVAC unit. I am a first time home buyer and my system seem not to cool as it did the first part of the year. Thanks, jmunroe

Carrier weather maker 8000 [ 1 Answers ]

What's the cost of a Carrier weather maker 8000 ignitor and how can I purchase it? Thank You

View more questions Search