Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chhristineberry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 06:59 PM
    How should I remove the black dye from my hair?
    I was born with naturally black hair, but over the years, I've dyed it several different shades of brown. After a while, I dyed it back to black because I wanted a change. It ended up being way too dark, so then after, I tried dying it back brown twice. The 1st time, it turned reddish, after that it has gotten a bit lighter, but still very dark. I don't want to damage my hair with the bleach, so how should I go about getting rid of the black color?

Also, I've read a couply of the past forums, and I've read about the color zap. If I have to apply 2 or more applications, how often do I do them? And since the color will look brassy, will it look that way the 1st time I try the color zap?
    dogwalker Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chhristineberry
    I was born with naturally black hair, but over the years, i've dyed it several different shades of brown. After a while, i dyed it back to black because i wanted a change. It ended up being way too dark, so then after, i tried dying it back brown twice. The 1st time, it turned reddish, after that it has gotten a bit lighter, but still very dark. I don't want to damage my hair with the bleach, so how should i go about getting rid of the black color?

also, i've read a couply of the past forums, and i've read about the color zap. if i have to apply 2 or more applications, how often do i do them? and since the color will look brassy, will it look that way the 1st time i try the color zap?
    Sounds like you've done an awful lot to your hair and even the strongest hair can take just so much. My advice would be to go to a professional hairdresser, one who specializes in hair color. With all you've spent so far, it wouldn't be any more expensive than continuing on like you are. I'd be afraid to continue overprocessing it for fear it may break off. Everybody's hair is different, and professionals know all the tricks as far as special additives and products you might need added to the color itself to get the results you want. I overdid my hair by myself once a very long time ago, and it became soft and mushy and broke right off in my hands as I was rinsing the dye off it. Since then I've had my hair dyed and highlighted many times trusted entirely to my hairdresser.

Judy
    Hairdesigner Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2007, 02:35 PM
    At this point you only have a few options if you want to go lighter than black. If the color in your hair is fresh you could mix some woolite with water and use that as a shampoo (only once). Its pretty harsh and will dry out your hair quite a bit but with newly applied color it can work to remove the color a bit. You could go to a salon and either get a corrective color (which can cost quite a bit and is a very lenghty process) or you could get some highlights. You don't have to go to blonde with them, maybe even just a couple shades lighter than what you have now. Its less damaging to the hair and will cost less. Also the more you are in the sun the more your color will lighten and wash your hair with hot water it makes the color fade faster.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Sep 2, 2007, 07:05 PM
    If you have naturally back hair and want to go lighter, you will need to pre-lighten your hair with bleach and then deposit the desired color. Remember that black/dark hair contains a lot of red pigments in it. And if you apply a permanent color on dark hair, it will result in a red/orange shade. You should have it done professionally.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How badly will having black hair dye stripped out damage my hair? [ 24 Answers ]

I recently dyed my naturally dark brown hair a bright black colour, and I am not very pleased with it at all. I know that stripping the colour on my own would seriously damage my hair (something I would like to avoid, as I have just finished growing out/cutting off some very damaged hair), but if I...

Remove too dark hair dye [ 3 Answers ]

My hairdresser put in both high and low lights and my hair is way too brown. Normally, I'd have her correct it, but, she'll be away for 2 weeks and I am not a happy brunette! I understand that a combination of developer and shampoo will lighten the brown and expose the already bleached color under...

Remove black hair dye questions [ 2 Answers ]

I have dyed my hair black from its original dark brown color. I used a demi permanate colorer IT LOOKS GOTHIC! I need it out; And I'm scared that if I put bleach in it will go white! Does it? And how does this hot oil treatment work, and what does it do? Answers are very very veryyy much...

How to remove black hair dye from hair [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hi there I am natalie from the uk and wanted to know if there are any home remedies for removing, or really fading black hair dye from hair, I am naturally red and am about to go on holiday next week to the canaries, and did not want red regrowth, so I am wanting a quick and easy...

How to remove black hair dye [ 4 Answers ]

I need some advice my natural hair color is dark brown. I have about ten years dying my hair black. And I have used bleach before and got it blonde. But bleach damaged my hair. I have my hair black again and want to remove the color without bleach or other damaging chemicals. Please tell me...

View more questions Search