Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trey Matthews Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 05:28 AM
    6 year old Golden that won't eat
    My buddy Doug is a 6 year old Golden. He has had health problems before (allergies, ear infections, hot spots). Just recently he developed a hot spot on his face. After three days of trying to get it to go down I relented and took him to the VET. He was ordered to take Prednisolone, and Cephlaxin. After five days he started vomiting x 5 early in the morning. That sooned stopped but then he stopped eating his regular dog food (allergen free science diet R/D) He developed minor diarrhea, which has changed to a soft stool. He will eat boiled chicken and a little bit of rice. His appetite is down along with his attitude. Blood worked by vet revealed low glucose, and slightly lower than normal albumin. I can't possibly afford another vet bill. I've already spent over $500 in about a week so far. I don't get it. If these symptoms ring a bell please reply.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2007, 06:21 AM
    If you can't afford the vet , you will have to keep him going on the chicken and rice and hope he pulls through on his own.
    Trey Matthews Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    If you can't afford the vet , you will have to keep him going on the chicken and rice and hope he pulls through on his own.

Well what do you think it could be. Currently I'm playing House M.D on the internet and have found a few possibilities. Have you had a similar experience.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 05:18 PM
    Trey, it is very hard to diagnose an illness online. There is a slim possibility that someone else may have gone through a similar experience but the end diagnosis for their dog might not be the same or the right one for yours. Honey, I know how expensive vets bills can be, but the best thing for you to do is to call your vet and talk to him/her about what has been happening with Doug since seeing him. Your vet knows him best and is the only person who can really be of help to you. A follow up call doesn't cost anything. I don't know why your vet didn't suggest an alternative chow to put Doug on after the chicken & rice diet. If I were you I would tell him exactly what is going on and ask what chow he would suggest to bring Doug's glucose & albumin levels to the normal range. In addition, ask him what else you need to do to make your dog as comfortable as possible. But, please be prepared for the vet to suggest after what Doug has experienced since his last visit, that you need to bring him back. You can tell him that money is a huge issue for you and that you want to do what is best for your dog but you need some guidance from him as to what he believes is going on with Doug. Then, just take it from there. If you feel that your vet doesn't have Doug's best interests in mind, is more interested in making money, or that he is just making a bunch of guesses, then start looking around for another vet. Get Doug's records transferred when you find one.

The thing you must keep in mind with any purebred in this country is that they all come with inherent genetic defects to one degree or another. Depending on where you purchased him, he could be one of those that has a lot more medical issues than most. He is counting on you to get him the help he needs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 8 year old daughter won't eat [ 18 Answers ]

Every dinner is a battle.. anyone have any advise on this..

My 5 year old won't eat [ 30 Answers ]

I can't figure it out, it has gotten too the point where now I will try to feed him and he will chew his food but he will not swallow. What should I do?

14 Year Old Golden Won't Eat - Looking for Labman [ 1 Answers ]

Labman - Our Golden just turned 14 this week. His appetite has been steadily declining for a few weeks. At first he just wasn't eatting as much as usual, but then he began to refuse food all together. Occasionally we can tempt him with an egg or some cottage cheese or a bit of beef, but mostly he...

2 1/2 month old golden retriver puppy won't eat [ 3 Answers ]

Hi PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Can someone help- I have just got a 2 1/2 month old golden retriver puppy- I have had her for a week and yesterday she was ill- with very bad diahorria like water. I took her to the vet and her tempreator was ok- but he gave her some medical to ease her stomach. She...

My 9 year old dog won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

My dog eats all they time but lately he hasn't at anything what's wrong with him? :confused:

View more questions Search