Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    little_miss_magnolia Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2007, 03:29 PM
    What to plant this time of year?
    Hi-

I am in charge of a memorial garden this year in a organization I am a part of. I am a hard worker, but I have no intense horticultural experience. The garden has not been maintained in the past, and plantings only last about a month. I have to sponsor at least two events to plant, weed, and cleanup the garden. When are good planting seasons and what do you plant in those seasons? Are there any plants that do well when planted and left to fend for themselves that still look nice_ Thanks!
    Michelle29 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Hi Magnolia,

I think the best plantings for "unattended" gardens would be a mix of native plants and hardy shrubs. I have a pretty extensively landscaped yard, but I don't put a lot of effort into maintaining it. What I have planted are native flowers, shrub roses, and lots of hostas and ferns. They all do just fine with minimal maintenance and no winter protection (I'm in Minnesota). Best thing for you to do would be contact your local extension service or a good nursery and ask them what native plants are available. I've found that shrub roses are next to impossible to kill, as are lilacs bushes, and they look nice with native plants.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meeting my 12 year old daughter for the first time. [ 10 Answers ]

I haven't seen my daughter since she was a year and a half old. What do I say and how do I go about it. I've missed seeing her so much. Especially since I have another daughter with another woman and watching her grow up has made me miss my first one more and more each day. I want to make things...

Meeting my 12 year old daughter for the first time. [ 2 Answers ]

I haven't seen my daughter since she was a year and a half old. What do I say and how do I go about it. I've missed seeing her so much. Especially since I have another daughter with another woman and watching her grow up has made me miss my first one more and more each day. I want to make things...

Parenting Time after 4 year absence [ 3 Answers ]

Seeking advice/input on a couple of things... I was served custody papers this week for my (almost 5-year-old) daughter. The father wants e/o weekend visition (Friday eve - Monday eve). In the short term, I'm not opposed to her having a relationship with this person however I am opposed to...

How Do I Put My 3 Year Old to Sleep When its Bed Time? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi , I am Having Problems With My Three Year Old Daugter. She has always had Problems Sleeping... Which She Does Not Like To Sleep! But Since My twins were Born its Gotten Worse Then EVER!! I am trying to Break the Bad Habit , So my Twins won't fall in the same Trap! Please Help!! ...

View more questions Search