Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JessicaRachelW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Confusion about verbal lease in Florida. Foreclosed property
    Hi I'm in a really rough position.. Our friend let us stay in his townhouse on a month to month basis.. we paid him with a check with the FOR RENT written on the check for about 4 months for now.

We recently found out the house is in foreclosure! He hasn't made a payment since Feb, 2007. There is also a lien on the house from the townhouse assoication . He owes them around 10,000 dollars.

He never told us about this until after we had moved in.

Now he wants to kick us out because we've felt ify about paying rent because we didn't know when the house would foreclose. (but we have never not paid rent!)

What's our rights in this circumstance since it's a verbal agreement?

And how should I go about handling the situation! Help please!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2007, 05:04 AM
    Hello Jessica:

You are a month to month tenant. Either party can end the relationship with 30 days written notice. Evidently, he's doing that. There's nothing you can or should do, except move. What HE owes to whom is not a concern of yours.

Exco
    shtpmom Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2007, 05:15 AM
    You will Know when the home is foreclosed,the sherriff will serve whom ever is living in the home with papers ( you will have so many days to leave). LL is right, you must continue to pay him rent for the home is still his until foreclosure regardless of what is against the home.
    dtbrealestate Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 11:08 AM
    I NOT AN ATTORNEY: There are some new laws in a place that allow the HOA to demand the rent from you to be applied towards owner's debt. What he does with the rent is not your concern. It seems that it is best to find a landlord that will have a more stable sitatution.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 29, 2011, 11:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaRachelW View Post
    ... we've felt ify about paying rent because we didn't know when the house would foreclose. (but we have never not paid rent!) ...
    If and when the mortgage is foreclosed, it doesn't follow that you would be immediately asked to get out. Public Law 111–22, sections 701-704, a/k/a "The Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act of 2009" seems to give tenants such as OP the right to a 90-day notice to quit, after foreclosure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant in foreclosed property [ 3 Answers ]

The house I am renting is in foreclosure. I had a lease agreement with the former owner that is still current. What are my rights as a tenant?

A Virginia Tenant in a property being foreclosed [ 2 Answers ]

Our family lives in a residence in Virginia. We have a 3 year lease with a private owner/landlord. We found out via public advertisement that the property is going to public auction. We have paid all our rent on time (2 weeks early actually) and have kept the property immaculate. What are our...

Verbal Lease after written lease agreement - Florida [ 6 Answers ]

I had a signed lease with my renter from March 2006 to October 2006. In September he failed to pay rent due to him trying to get his son from Social Services. We verbally agreed to extend the lease to a month to month basis and him adding an additional $50.00 per month to make up for Septembers...

Landlord kicking me out - Verbal Lease - CA [ 7 Answers ]

I have a tough situation. I rent from a woman who owns a house and built a cottage attached to a garage, separate from the main house. In Sept 2005 I agreed to rent the cottage on a month to month basis, 1 year lease. I gave a first + Last month + $800 security deposit. When I arrived to give...

Verbal 12 month lease [ 3 Answers ]

My business is in California. We have a written month to month lease for our office space. We recently met with the leasing director and asked her about extending our lease for 12 months. She verbally agreed that a 12 month lease is OK and will not be a problem. She then went on a 3 week...

View more questions Search