Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lsoinva56 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 12:10 PM
    A Virginia Tenant in a property being foreclosed
    Our family lives in a residence in Virginia. We have a 3 year lease with a private owner/landlord. We found out via public advertisement that the property is going to public auction. We have paid all our rent on time (2 weeks early actually) and have kept the property immaculate.

What are our options if our landlord dues not resolve this issue and the property sells at auction.

Do the new owners have to go through "due process" to evict us via Summons of Unlawful Detainment and subsequent Writ of Unlawful Detainment? Will I get a chance to plead my case i.e. Negotiate a possible lease with the new owner. Is the new owner required to get a Writ of Unlawful Detainment to evict us or can they just move us out? Puzzled and in a hurry!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2007, 12:42 PM
    The new owner does not have to honor the old lease,

You would be on a month to month rental with any new owner since there is no written agreement between you and them.

They would have to give you notice, and if you did not move, go to court to evict you. But you have no case to plead, since it does not matter what you did to keep the property up, does not matter you paid rent on time.

Once the gavel falls, all of the old agreement is void.
    Normally the people doing the foreclosure would give you notice to move out, since you may not want 100's of people walking though your house looking at it prior to auction.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Mar 6, 2007, 03:23 PM
    This is an unfortunate situation. Once the property goes to auction and there is a new owner, you are going to have to deal with the new owner. It may be an investor who will want to sign you to a new lease. It may be the bank that holds the mortgage or someone who wants to move into the house themselves. Only time will tell. Do you have a security deposit at risk? At this point, that is where your concerns should be channeled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant in foreclosed property [ 3 Answers ]

The house I am renting is in foreclosure. I had a lease agreement with the former owner that is still current. What are my rights as a tenant?

Question on Tenant Rights / State of Virginia [ 4 Answers ]

I have a question regarding tenant's rights and the law in the state of Virginia. I am currently involved in a dispute with another tenant in the complex where I live in Henrico County. I have contacted the landlord on 11 occasions regarding complaints of excessive noise coming from the tenants who...

Owner being foreclosed on we are keasing/TX [ 6 Answers ]

We leased a home 3 months ago & signed a two year lease, we were just informed that the owner is going into foreclosure. The owner suggested we move in 30 to 45 days. We spent a lot of money moving in from a 4100 sq ft home to this home! We put down a deposit, we have done a lot of work in this...

Tenant rights during foreclosure (virginia) [ 11 Answers ]

I'm renting a house in virginia that I just found out is being foreclosed upon. The landlord won't answer his phone or emails inquiring about the foreclosure. There is an auction for the house on nov. 8. and the winner has to close on the house in 15 days. I want to know what my rights are? ...

Removing Tenant From Property [ 1 Answers ]

If I want to remove a tenant that has not paid rent in 2 months and coming up on the third month of nonpayment. This is in the State Of Georgia, Gwinett County? Can I just give him a direct notice or letter from my attorney? What is the law, how so I quote that law? Where can I find the...

View more questions Search